Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 03:56 PM

Re: Women's early pension?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
There's a petition to sign and lots of ways to get heard, writing to MP'S etc. The more people we get involved the better. It won't only affect our age group but men and women in the future.
I have the feeling that the pension will vanish eventually and only people who have health problems or money will be able to stop working.
Or another reason to go on the dole?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What makes it seem worse for her is that, as I am nine years older than her, I shall still qualify for state pension at 65 (in a year in August), as it has always been.
I share her pain ... Mr M is a pensioner now. I'm 54. By the time I retire (aged 67) he'll be 79.
The added problem is we're both self-employed in a joint business so I've already accepted that at some point I shall be unemployed when the business goes (and a financial burden to him) and have to switch to getting a job filling shelves or something, if I can.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I share her pain ... Mr M is a pensioner now. I'm 54. By the time I retire (aged 67) he'll be 79.
The added problem is we're both self-employed in a joint business so I've already accepted that at some point I shall be unemployed when the business goes (and a financial burden to him) and have to switch to getting a job filling shelves or something, if I can.
I hope thats so Morticia, i do feel the goalposts will be moved again.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Or another reason to go on the dole?
That is what the government said during one debate, go on benefits! Hardly a satisfactory answer!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I hope thats so Morticia, i do feel the goalposts will be moved again.
I think the same .. and fully expect to end up having to work till I'm 70. (not 67).
I hope to try and get some work .. and then when I get too old and cranky qualify for either the dole or sick. I'm a novice at this benefit stuff having claimed nothing since back in 1982, pre-self-employed. Somehow, I need to get myself back 'in the system'.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:01 PM

The other thing that I understand the government are trying to encourage is that everyone should organise a private pension for themselves.

My first wife and I, fortunately, have work pensions (well she will when she decided to retire) and have both taken out private pension provisions to make up the inevitable shortfall.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the good fortune to have either a work pension or the savings to put into a private pension pot.

If the government achieve what they are obviously trying to do, we could eventually see the state pension disappearing altogether, which makes me wonder why have we been paying National Insurance for all these years. Needless to say, MPs' pensions will be protected and suitably generous.

I think what we really need is a revolution.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:30 PM

The knock on effect is that there will be fewer jobs for young people, the government have obviously known that would happen, that's why they've raised school leaving age and are encouraging further education. It has nothing to do with wanting kids to get degrees!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-04-2016, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
The knock on effect is that there will be fewer jobs for young people, the government have obviously known that would happen, that's why they've raised school leaving age and are encouraging further education. It has nothing to do with wanting kids to get degrees!
And, of course, the real answer would be so much easier.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 07:40 AM

Hi

All being done to save money, I agree completely that men and women should retire at the same age.

Both Political Parties have known about this issue for many years, longer life spans mean higher NI Payments, but nobody wanted to grasp the nettle.

All this stuff about I have paid in for so many years, I have earned my State Pension is baloney.

The average person retiring now, based on expected life spans, has paid in enough for a State Pension of less than £90 a week, that is all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

27-04-2016, 07:49 AM

I agree SF but, they've not given enough time for folk to adjust.
Nobody disputes the fact that men and women should get pensions at the same age, it's the way they're going about it that's wrong.
The only way forward is to pay higher NI and no one wants to, so state pensions will become unsustainable.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top