Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 08:09 AM

Re: Penknives..

My Dad always carried a penknife it seemed invaluable and capable of doing a variety of jobs including slicing an apple straight from the tree to share with a little girl .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 08:49 AM

A penknife is a handy thing to have. Now toothpicks are not allowed in restaurants on heath and safety grounds, stupid but there you are, the toothpick that comes with a penknife is a blessing. Oh and those little tweezers , often saved to day from brambles and the like. Not forgetting that little corkscrew-bottle opener-screwdriver- can piercer- let alone the 2 knife blades.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I can never quite get my head round carry on restrictions, they remove a tiny thing like that and then give you an inflight magazine, otherwise known as a Millwall Brick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc-p22QPA3k

You can buy Tactical ballpoint pens as well.
Haha, that was funny. I can see the advantage of using it for 'stabbing', but I'm not so sure about the 'slicing' action.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 10:06 AM

Why is it called a penknife?

I happen to know the answer. So here for anyone interested is the reason.

There was a time when a pen was a quill which you dipped into ink to write. After a while the end got blunt and you needed a little knife to cut the blunt bit off. I would guess that this hasn’t been necessary for some 200 years when metal nibs became available.

Yet the little knife is still called a pen knife.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've got just an ordinary folding camping knife. 1 blade, bottle opener, corkscrew and something else which I don't really know - looks similar to the bottle opener to me :confused
If it has a pointy end, I should imagine it is a can opener.

Very useful if you're out and about with a can in your pocket!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Now toothpicks are not allowed in restaurants on heath and safety grounds.
God help us! I'm fully expecting an imminent 'health and safety guideline' that we should walk about everywhere fully covered in cotton wool and bubble wrap.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If it has a pointy end, I should imagine it is a can opener.

Very useful if you're out and about with a can in your pocket!

Now I think of it, I think one gadget is a can piercer and the other is a bottle opener. Mind you, most cans are ring-pull nowadays aren't they.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-07-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Now I think of it, I think one gadget is a can piercer and the other is a bottle opener. Mind you, most cans are ring-pull nowadays aren't they.
I'm afraid my mushy peas aren't.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm afraid my mushy peas aren't.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Gosh that brings back memories of my granddad he always had a pen knife, used it to cut flowers from hedge row for my nan on his way home from work, in the garden to make cuttings of plants and would sharpen my pencils for school with it too.
The only pen knife I have belonged to my grandfather which was given to him when he was 21.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top