Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 09:22 AM

Negative Interest

This means that sooner or later we will have to pay the banks to keep our money.
So does this mean its back to the dangerous but cheaper under the mattress method?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:15 AM

Re: Negative Interest

First bank accounts we had we both had to pay for, only people with over I think £500 had a free account.

Personally I don't have a problem with paying for a service but they would have to revert to paying wages in cash for many as it's not fair to expect a person on low pay to pay for an account to get their money.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:22 AM

They have been talking about this for a while, I did mention to my husband the other day about taking my money out and putting it under the bed. But like you Julie it takes the biscuit that you have to pay to get your money out to pay bills.

I wonder if it is the same if you pay with direct debit because a lot of us have these set up to come out each month.

Luckily I am not with either of these banks but how long before the others follow suit.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 11:28 AM

Business customers only I think you will find, that is how I read it yesterday.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Back in the late 60's everybody paid bank charges and banks offering to reduce those charges were to encourage people to have their wages paid directly to the bank, instead of pay in cash. The plan was to make sure they everybody needed a bank account, so banks could do more business with them ie. sell them other services for which they would pay a fee.
No business would consider now paying in cash, be it pension or salary, because of the expense, work time and security risks. For most people this means that you would have no real opportunity to close your bank account as they now have us all by the short and curlies!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Hi

If they are charging us to keep our money, does that mean that they will now be paying us to have overdrafts?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Back in the late 60's everybody paid bank charges and banks offering to reduce those charges were to encourage people to have their wages paid directly to the bank, instead of pay in cash. The plan was to make sure they everybody needed a bank account, so banks could do more business with them ie. sell them other services for which they would pay a fee.
No business would consider now paying in cash, be it pension or salary, because of the expense, work time and security risks. For most people this means that you would have no real opportunity to close your bank account as they now have us all by the short and curlies!
In that case they will have to offer free accounts for some or employers will have to pay the charges it annoys me now we have to have Internet access and printer to get a wage slip on a small job paying minimum wage that's a huge expense. I already have to have access to three people's wage slips in the company I work for so I can print theirs out each month as they can't afford Internet on their wages.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Business customers only I think you will find, that is how I read it yesterday.
That's my understanding.
Personal accounts could be included under the new T&Cs but that's unlikely.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 02:30 PM

The day they start charging me for my money in their banks, out it comes and I shall buy gold.
Where I keep it, I ain't telling you lot.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-07-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
The day they start charging me for my money in their banks, out it comes and I shall buy gold.
Where I keep it, I ain't telling you lot.
I think we would consider that too it's not like the banks have ever helped us, we got short shrift when we found 17 percent interest rates impossible to pay, then they miss sold us an endowment mortgage, now they pay out less than 1 percent on savings, we feel they have made money off us all way along.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top