Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 08:38 AM

Tax Refund by email?

I've just had an email purporting to be from HMRC telling me that I'm eligible for a tax refund, and that I should follow the link & procedure to claim it

At first I thought Oh Goodo! but then had my doubts

All previous correspondence with HMRC, including refunds, has been by post
Usually I haven't needed to claim a refund, it just turns up in the form of a cheque. I've sent them all my details, including bank account several times in the past, by post, so they know all about me. So why don't they just send the money?
Come to think about it, I don't recall their ever asking for my email address

I haven't followed or opened the link, but I suspect that if I do they will want various details, including my bank account
Has anyone heard of this?
Is it another scam?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Re: Tax Refund by email?

Sounds very dodgy to me, and i would phone HMRC, i doubt they would do this via email.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Don't do it ! I very much doubt they would send a refund this way. I had one before Easter it was an official letter and they told me what they owed me not told me to claim it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 08:47 AM

It's a Phishing scam that has been around some time.......

http://www.hoax-slayer.net/hmrc-you-...phishing-scam/
Delete it

and this from the Government website...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-is-fraudulent

Emails from the Government will never....

notify you of a tax rebate
offer you a repayment
ask you to disclose personal information such as your full address, postcode, Unique Taxpayer Reference or details of your bank account

It is so easy to check for a scam, just put the details into Google and you will see warnings on scam busting sites ...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 08:53 AM

Deffo a scam! Delete.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 09:29 AM

OK, I've deleted it
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 09:33 AM

Phew, they do look very realistic though don't they ? You have to be on the ball when you read emails too dangerous not to be.
zuludog
N E Lancashire

26-08-2016, 10:18 AM

Yes, it seemed very believable, that's their skill I suppose

Over the past week I've had 2 or 3 phone calls that were almost certainly some kind of cons or scams; although I'm aware of these things it still took a few moments to realise what was going on. One in particular was very convincing.

So now I'm much more suspicious or sensitive about these things, and hang up very quickly
Similarly with emails

There used to be the advice to blow a whistle down the phone, but I have been warned against this, and also not to swear at them. Apparently (you guessed it) this upsets their human rights, and they can bring actions against you

the recommended procedure that I've been told is that once you realise what's going on simply say 'Sorry, I'm not interested. Goodbye'. And hang up
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-08-2016, 10:21 AM

Oh dear can't upset the poor dears even if they are trying to scam us
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Yes, it seemed very believable, that's their skill I suppose

Over the past week I've had 2 or 3 phone calls that were almost certainly some kind of cons or scams; although I'm aware of these things it still took a few moments to realise what was going on. One in particular was very convincing.

So now I'm much more suspicious or sensitive about these things, and hang up very quickly
Similarly with emails

There used to be the advice to blow a whistle down the phone, but I have been warned against this, and also not to swear at them. Apparently (you guessed it) this upsets their human rights, and they can bring actions against you

the recommended procedure that I've been told is that once you realise what's going on simply say 'Sorry, I'm not interested. Goodbye'. And hang up
I don't know why anyone is still being taken in by scams after all the publicity. I delete all unsolicited email and ignore similar phone calls.

If I have a query of any kind with any organisation it is easy to contact them directly by going to their webside (not following a link ) or telephoning them to check on things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top