Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 07:16 AM

Advice please on paint colour

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I wondered if I could ask your opinions.
I live in a small bungalow which before I moved in the walls were all painted magnolia emulsion. I wanted to repaint the lounge walls and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe I might try a colour instead.
The room is south facing and so is a very bright room.
Should I stick with the magnolia or what colour would you recommend for a lounge. The carpet is black with white/silverish flecks but I am thinking of getting a big rug to put over the carpet.

See this is one of the reasons why i probably need a woman in my life
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 08:07 AM

Re: Advice please on paint colour

You could paint it shades of grey
I think you need to decide what colour rug you fancy and what colour your furniture is, and what curtains you have.
If you're sticking with the carpet, I would go for bright colours, perhaps one wall red as a feature wall and the rest white.
It's nice to have a blank canvas and decorate to your taste, it's the best thing about moving house I think!
Welcome to the forum by the way!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Good morning and welcome.

I'm the opposite to Tess (above), because I can't stand grey. To me it is a cold and depressing colour, like the darkest day in winter.
I would prefer softer shades myself, but can't help with colour suggestions as I have little idea what your room is like, or what you want to achieve.
I certainly wouldn't find bright red and white restful. (sorry Tess)

Not much use really, am I.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 08:19 AM

If you want your room to stay bright, I would avoid dark colours. Why not decide on your rug first and then get a colour chart to see which colours go well with it?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 08:24 AM

I think it would depend on the size of Your lounge MC,if it's quite small maybe better sticking to all walls the same colour,pale cream or off white,with a splash of colour on rugs/curtains/cushions....But by the time We've all finished with Our suggestions,You'll be more confused than when You started.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If you want your room to stay bright, I would avoid dark colours. Why not decide on your rug first and then get a colour chart to see which colours go well with it?

I think this is the best idea.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 08:31 AM

I was joking about the shades of grey Mups (50)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I was joking about the shades of grey Mups (50)

Gawd. . . I'm so blinkin' dim sometimes, I amaze meself.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Gawd. . . I'm so blinkin' dim sometimes, I amaze meself.
Just think Mups, if you painted your room 50 shades of Grey, you could get a big red rug, and blame the colour, reflecting on you face, to explain your blushes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 08:42 AM

If your bungalow is small magnolia or any of that ilk - off whites natural calico / is good for the walls it's makes a great background for your coloured rugs cushions pictures etc and keeps the room light and bright .
But get rid of or cover up the black dandruff carpet !
Like Twink said chose your rug and take your colour palette from there .
There are warm colour palettes ( reds yellow etc ) and cool colour palette blues and greys

I.e.
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/375769162634304219/

so
If you want warm cheery colours pick russets and golds.
Also you can't go wrong IMO with earth colours but that is a personal choice
Get some magazines house and garden or something like that or go online and see what looks good and what you like .
Good luck !

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top