Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Re: I just can't do it without counting calories

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Well that's a life decision you have to make I'm afraid. Whilever you are focussed on weight as an issue then you'll never progress imho.

A bit like being a person who is suceptible to repeated colds and viruses putting all the focus on which particular flu capsules or throat lozenges work the best. Looking at the symptoms and pandering to those symptoms doesn't fix or improve the underlying problem which in this case would be a damaged/poor immune system.

Obesity/weight is a symptom not a condition. It is the by product of being unwell, being unhealthy, not having good bodily functions.

Calorie counting and associated apps are imho a pile of crap.

A man on average in takes 2000 cals per day and a sedentary person burns about 1650 cals per day. I've been a sedentary person for the past 20 years. I sat in an office all day in front of a computer, I sat in the sofa at home, then slept in my bed, rinse, repeat.

Yet I am constant in my weight. According to calorie counting I should be constantly piling the weight on because of more calories going in than being burned.

It's hogwash.

What matters is WHAT YOU EAT not how much you eat.

When the body's various functions are working in top health, the body will always balance itself. It discards what it doesn't need quietly and naturally.

This goes astray the moment you put unhealthy foods and drinks into your mouth. Not becuase those foods are themselves evil and awful but because of what they do to your body's natural functions.

Thus if you keep piling sugars into your mouth your brain and your digestion is greatly affected and that has ripple effects elsewhere and results in you storing available food energy as fat.

There are other considerations. Younger girls and women who are on any of the various forms of contraceptive (pills, norplant etc), are essentially screwed (no pun intended). The estrogens and other crap in them greatly mess with the body functions and pretty much no matter what you eat, you'll be piling the weight on. No diet will be able to stop it.

The pathway that forks in front of you is not thin on on side and fat on the other, it's not over weight vs under weight.

The pathway is healthy or sick, end of.

Everyone must come to terms with that in their own time and way. You have to realise what it is to be human and then choose to be healthy, choose to OBJECTIVELY give your body the kind of fuel it needs to do its thing. Once you do, you get all the good by products which include natural and permanent weight loss, high energy levels, clarity of mind and strong immune system.

And stay away from silly TV programmes imo. ALl the various diet programmes and weight loss programmes are just bogus made up fare for entertainment. The Biggest Loser being one of the worst imo.

Good luck to you. I hope you choose health.
I've been watching Supersize vs Superskinny for a long time. Just a show I got hooked on years ago. I just watch it on youtube. I don't find it silly at all, it's a nice show that also looks into the world of anorexic sufferers, crazy diets that claim to work miraculously but they don't, etc. There's a lot of good information in those shows, plus I like seeing the different crazy diets of the superskinnies and supersizers and watch how they get on eating each other's food.

As for shows like The Biggest Loser, I agree, they're stupid. I don't watch silly stuff like that.

I do my best to eat healthful foods. I think you know that by now
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes I completely get that Linda, I'm not sure anyone that hasn't been on that journey can understand entirely and realist has his moments but obviously hasn't looked closely into the apps and calorie counting as it's not just focuses on calories in at all these days.
Calories, of course, is the biggest thing for me. But it goes a little deeper than that, as like I said, I enjoyed seeing my nutritional levels for the day.

This whole thing is making me want to go get nachos from Taco Bell
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 01:27 PM

Made me go to the freezer for a choc ice
Linda0818
USA

29-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Haha! We must be setting off triggers
Granny J
Hampshire
Granny J is female 

30-12-2017, 09:35 PM

I used to count calories, and have been a member of weight watchers for years.
But now I don't count calories, I have found that cutting out things like bread, and eating a lot of veg and fruit, and a small amount of protein every day, and in small portions I can lose weight quite quickly, which I'll be doing from tomorrow onward's, as I've over eaten massively over the Christmas period.
I don't buy anything to tempt me, as I am no good at resisting.
I weigh myself each morning when i get up. and write my weight down. And I keep a chart on my laptop where I put my weight for each Monday, and put how many lbs I've lost or gained.
I started in May 2012 when I weighed 11 st. I now weigh just under 9 st, but like to be about 8 st 7lbs or less if possible.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:45 AM

I am no good at resisting either, GJ. I have no idea why that is, since in all other aspects of my life I am very disciplined. Work hard, play (and eat), hard, I suppose!

I also weight myself first thing in the morning, but I don't write it down. I think that's wonderful that you do. I know by the end of the week how my jeans fit whether or not I am heading in the right direction.

Counting calories always works for me when I need to lose a few pounds, but since I took up running, and cut out fried foods altogether, I don't seem to have to count every calorie anymore.

But bread...and pasta....oh, I don't think I could ever give those up for long!
Linda0818
USA

04-01-2018, 01:40 PM

I don't count calories anymore either. And it shows. If I don't stay accountable for the things I eat, I get careless. And really, at my age, I don't know why I should even care. I mean, come on, let's face it... it's not like I'm going to be sought after by a man or anything, lol.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Granny J ->
have been a member of weight watchers for years.
Doesn't that kind of tell you that WW is useless?!

Shouldn't it be the case that you go to a slimming club/organisation and get taught how foods work, how the body works and what foods to eat and what foods to avoid?

If that were the case then you'd only need to visit the club for one set of sessions to learn that stuff and then you'd never need them again.

Of course that's not actually how they work. The business model of these places relies on repeat customers and one should conclude from that fact that they are not preparing people for proper healthy living imho.

I have found that cutting out things like bread, and eating a lot of veg and fruit, and a small amount of protein every day, and in small portions I can lose weight quite quickly
There is nothing remotely wrong with real proper bread. You can (and should) eat it and not find that it makes you fat. But to do so you have to understand what bread is, what the core ingredients are and what all the unnecessary ingredients are. I read the label on a supermarket loaf last year and was staggered to see 20 ingredients !!!

Bread only requires 4 ingredients. Flour, salt, water and yeast (or other leavening).

All the rest where awful chemicals, flour "improvers", preservatives and the like. Stuff that will make you unhealthy. Buy good bread from a proper artisan bakery or make your own.

I weigh myself each morning when i get up. and write my weight down.
Stop doing that imho

It's silly.

Weight is a SYMPTOM not a root cause

Weighing yourself just makes you focus on that symptom instead of sealing with the real thing, the real issue, which is your health.

If you are healthy, you will not be over-weight. It's that simple.

Focussing on weight is completely the wrong thing to do for all manner of reasons. One of those reasons is that when people see that they have lost a few lbs or stones they think all is ok. The reality is that they are still unhealthy and haven't made the life changes they should to become healthy and stay that way. All they've done is temporarily changed eating habits following some fad diet or set of eating rules. They will invariably put the weight back on again and usually more besides. Hence then repeated visits to WW and SW.

Diets simply do not work in terms of permanent weight loss and achieving a healthy body.

You can only achieve those things by fundamentally educating oneself as to what is, and what is not good/bad, healthy/unhealthy. Also by educating oneself as to how foods are labelled, what the real contents of food products are vs what the manufacturers try and trick you to believe.

The primary task is to learn to eat and drink healthily. When that is achieved, the weight disappears of it's own accord as a BY-PRODUCT of being healthy, NOT as a by-product of what you are eating.

Most weight is actually lost whilst you are sleeping at night through perspiration and transpiration.

Health come first,

Weight happens as a result

Throw the weighing scales in the bin and resolve to eat healthily.
Linda0818
USA

04-01-2018, 07:21 PM

I agree that weighing yourself daily is pretty pointless. Weight can fluctuate day by day by as much as 3-5 pounds. If you're going to weigh yourself at all, do it once a week.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 01:47 PM

Can we revive this thread instead of starting another please.

I have just started slimming down and have always counted calories - this is the method I prefer, but I have joined Slimming World to see what they do differently. Calories are not counted with SW and you have a daily allowance of carbohydrate/cereal (which they call healthy extra) and another healthy extra allowance of milk and/or cheese. All other food is either super free, free or counted as syns. I have struggled with this a bit as being used to calorie counting I find it difficult to switch and, as yet, do not trust that I will lose weight if I don't count calories. I am assured by SW that I will.

What do people think about a regime which does not count calories (I know Realist has said not to count calories, but I find it difficult).

Has anyone else any experience of Slimming World and can you tell us how you got on.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top