Join for free
Page 10 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Re: The Irish Border Problem

Originally Posted by Colonelgrim ->
Think about it for one moment, who are the people that would kick up all the fuss about having a hard boarder in northern Ireland(?), correct, the IRA, there still there you know!

All I'm suggesting is lets have a hard boarder, but lets let Southern Ireland impose it, result, in a peaceful northern Ireland, and a workable hard boarder, and if the catholics in northern ireland didn't like it they could cause trouble in their own religious region, sorted.

I'm reading from your post that you dont seem to want a hard boarder then!!!! I wonder why not!

Perhaps southern Ireland should consider leaving the EU, unless of course you have become too reliant upon EU handouts sponsored by we party!
I'll say nothing but that you are wrong. You don't think you are but you are wrong. By the way, Ireland does not receive handouts from the EU; we are net contributors now. You didn't seem to hear me say that my family does business with the UK, net contributors to your economy! You'll probably tell me go stuff if anyway. Charming. Don't know why I bother responding.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Wow Muddy, what a great post!

Just reading that makes me realise how we, and the Irish People, are being stuffed.

The Greeks would have a word for it....something along the lines of "that's what they did to Greece".
Colonelgrim
England
Colonelgrim is male 

07-12-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
I'll say nothing but that you are wrong. You don't think you are but you are wrong. By the way, Ireland does not receive handouts from the EU; we are net contributors now. You didn't seem to hear me say that my family does business with the UK, net contributors to your economy! You'll probably tell me go stuff if anyway. Charming. Don't know why I bother responding.
I'm quite happy to be wrong Mountaintop, but you have to admit if the EU want a hard border, Southern Ireland are perfectly placed to implement one!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 06:22 PM

The anti-Irish tone of this whole tread is sad, depressing, and reflects a basic level of ignorance of the issues on hand. The summing up of complex problems in ill-ground soundbites is very worrisome. I live in Southern Ireland. My brothers imports engineering products from the UK and has done so for twenty years. I have family in the UK. And then I read a tread from Colonelgrim about terrorist activity targeting my government and some nonsense about a Hard Border and I shake my head and ask myself what's that all about? I mean, have any of these people even visited the Irish Republic. Ignorant and nonsensical.
Hi

Goods can be transported across without a Hard Border, it is not rocket science, seals and electronic tags and readers.

We offered a seamless Border, the Irish Prime Minister started playing silly idiots with his demands, effectively using the EU to hold us to ransom.

He will end up with a hard border if he continues.

If he does not back down, then so be it.

The UK ends the Common Travel Area, which is not part of the EU Remit and Ireland suffers big time.

It will be entirely his choice.
Rathlin
New Member!
Garvagh, Co Londonderry
Rathlin is male 

07-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Since there hasn't been a referendum on the issue since 1921, isn't it about time we asked the Northern Irish people whether they do want to re-unify???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iickNtK5Ivw
I think if you check you will find that the people of Northern Ireland had a referendum on 8/3/1973 at the height of the IRAs campaign to remove the border. Despite serious intimadation they voted to keep the border.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Or we stay in the single market/customs union
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Goods can be transported across without a Hard Border, it is not rocket science, seals and electronic tags and readers.

We offered a seamless Border, the Irish Prime Minister started playing silly idiots with his demands, effectively using the EU to hold us to ransom.

He will end up with a hard border if he continues.

If he does not back down, then so be it.

The UK ends the Common Travel Area, which is not part of the EU Remit and Ireland suffers big time.

It will be entirely his choice.
Your tone is threatening and illogical, in line the approach of most Brexiteers that I have heard to date. I did say before that the Republic of Ireland is the 5th biggest export market for British goods. Does that count for nothing? A little respect and moderation please. Maybe you won't miss what you have until it's gone.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Your tone is threatening and illogical, in line the approach of most Brexiteers that I have heard to date. I did say before that the Republic of Ireland is the 5th biggest export market for British goods. Does that count for nothing? A little respect and moderation please. Maybe you won't miss what you have until it's gone.
Hi

It was not the UK who started this, it was your Prime Minister.

It is your own Government who is being threatening and illogical.

They are quite simply saying, give us what we want or we will veto any trade talks.

What I am saying in response is this.

Use your veto and this is what you will get.

It is your choice.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 07:11 PM

Well brexit was our idea...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 08:22 PM

The anti-Irish tone of this whole tread is sad, depressing, and reflects a basic level of ignorance of the issues on hand.
I know, and have worked with, several Irish people, all of whom I regard with respect. Very nice people and certainly not the idiots that some comedians portray them as.

I think, if you look more deeply, that it is your politicians who you should mistrust. The same applies to our politicians, as has been said by others here many times.

If you read the link that Muddy has just supplied, you might realise that the EU and your own politicians have sold you down the river and are still taking advantage of you, as they do with us.

If I were Irish, I'd be pushing for an Irish exit from the EU.

Ireland and the UK have traded successfully and been friends since Irish independence in 1922. It is only since Brexit has been on the cards that the EU bureaucrats are trying to stir up distrust between us, and I think it is obvious why they are doing that.

Don't fall for their lies. Join us and leave the sinking EU.

Page 10 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top