Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
BGB
New Member!
Mid-atlantic, USA
BGB is male 

07-12-2017, 03:08 PM

Re: Greatness over 50

Gasman - I do agree about the grandkids. I have two really fantastic grandsons myself. They fill a spot for sure, but I still have a fire burning inside that drives me to achieve great things as well.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BGB ->
Meg - I understand your perspective. Thanks for the feedback.
I don't understand yours BGB, you still haven't explained to me why you think we over 50s have an unfair advantage over the younger set when it comes to success.
BGB
New Member!
Mid-atlantic, USA
BGB is male 

07-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Meg - last chance, here is exactly what I wrote to you yesterday. "We have the advantage of experience, stability, wisdom, perseverance, and a host of other qualities and knowledge that comes with the passage of time."

That's it.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 03:32 PM

Hellow, BGB.

I am wondering why you are drawing this conclusion? I haven't seen anything statistically that supports your premise that age presents an attribute of success that is "unfair".

Are you taking data and looking for anecdotes to exemplify some research findings or trying to posit a theory and then support it?

There is no question that having been in the workplace and life in general has given people more time to amass wealth, develop relationships, gain confidence, finish projects, learn skills and collect knowledge through experience and perspective that comes with age, but we aren't talking about a trait that comes with being fifty, per say.

The reality is that by the time we are 50 we have likely reached or are soon to reach our life's summit and can begin to enjoy the downhill (knees aside, ), but again, that's not an advantage.

If you put two people in a room, one twenty and one fifty, and assign them a task that would yield some measure of success, I would theorize that both have attributes that would actually put them on a level playing field.

This is interesting food for thought.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Meg - last chance, here is exactly what I wrote to you yesterday. "We have the advantage of experience, stability, wisdom, perseverance, and a host of other qualities and knowledge that comes with the passage of time."
That's it.
BGB I don't see that as 'an unfair advantage' when it comes to success, just something that comes to most people with the passage of time.

It depends how you define success anyway, I consider myself successful because I have that rare thing contentment but very few material things, they matter not to me. So many people would not consider me to be conventionally successful

Our experience and resources as older folks puts us on the fast track to whatever we want to achieve without the detours caused by lack of experience and naivety.
I am not intending going on a fast track to anywhere ..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 09:08 PM

The ironic thing is, when we’re over 50, 60 and 70 even! We might be fit and able, we might look years younger than our age but put it down on paper with our age included and we don’t stand a chance!
In people’s heads who don’t see us but see a number, usually pass us by and probably think we are on the scapheap!!
That’s the unfairness of it all, as on paper you don’t really stand a chance!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 09:21 PM

Rehab44 - nope, that is not it. Read again. You have an advantage, you are not disadvantaging anyone. I'd love to have a real exchange with you because in a real sense I am testing the thesis of my book. But, if you are just attempting to be snarky or clever, don't bother. This is a true and provable way of looking at things.
That’s the way I am, it’s an advantage of age I can take the piss out of pompous, pretentious and self indulgent people. As for your
this is a true and provable way of looking at things...
bull!
But no doubt you have a link to a study that proves you are right?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Hellow, BGB.

I am wondering why you are drawing this conclusion? I haven't seen anything statistically that supports your premise that age presents an attribute of success that is "unfair".

Are you taking data and looking for anecdotes to exemplify some research findings or trying to posit a theory and then support it?

There is no question that having been in the workplace and life in general has given people more time to amass wealth, develop relationships, gain confidence, finish projects, learn skills and collect knowledge through experience and perspective that comes with age, but we aren't talking about a trait that comes with being fifty, per say.
For Pete's sake, that is proof right there that being over fifty is anything but advantageous.

A thirty-year-old-me would never have made such errors, per se.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top