Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Passwords

I got my new tablet on Monday but it hasn't saved the passwords from my old tablet during the install.

This means I need to go on every site to change my passwords as there's only one or two I remember.
Where's the best place to keep for passwords safe so you can refer back to them when required? Would it be better to keep a hard copy in some sort of code?

I was wondering whether to compile a list of passwords with capitals, lower case and numbers and then just working through the list as I change from the old passwords.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Re: Passwords

I use RoboForm Password Manager - one application for all my devices - only one password to be remembered .....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roboform&hl=en

There are other password managers, though .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 02:01 PM

I just use a little black book sits on table in the living room we all add tp it the important ones in case any of us need to get in touch with companies on the others behalf. Learned that the hard way when my husband had a stroke and I couldn't get into our bank account.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Where's the best place to keep for passwords safe so you can refer back to them when required? Would it be better to keep a hard copy in some sort of code?
Best not to keep copies of password anywhere at all. Too risky.

If you can't remember passwords then simply employ a system. Here's a simple one just as an example:

You invent a 4 character prefix which you are always going to remember. Let's say you choose MC01 for reasons only you would know.

Now invent a 4 digit number that only you know, say 7156

Now when you set a password for a given site you construct it with the following parts:

Prefix + Sitename + 4 digit number

So let's say it's a password for the OVER50 forum

The password would be:

MC01OVER507156

If it's a password for Barclays bank it might be:

MC01Barclays7156

and so on

You can also replace characters in the site name with numbers and other characters to your own desire such as chaning letter "i" for numeric "1", or the letter "a" for an "@" and so on.

When you use a system like this you no longer need to worry about having to remember your many passwords. All you are going to remember is your prefix MC01 and yout number 7156.

So if you're wondering what your password was for say Amazon you know it will be :

MC01Amazon7156

etc etc

This does of course mean that if a hacker gets hold of one of your passwords and IF they believe that your password is a system, they might then logically work out any other passwords you have, thought they would probably also have to find out your user name first.

To be honest if you get successfully hacked then you are in big trouble anyway and it's highly unlikely.

A system imo is far more convenient than having to write down and maintain a password list somewhere.

You can also periodically change your system to have a new prefix or new number.

It's really simple once your start.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 11:15 AM

Thanks all for the advice.
I've just looked at the sites I visit and log on to. I hadn't realised how many there are.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks all for the advice.
I've just looked at the sites I visit and log on to. I hadn't realised how many there are.
You NEED a password manager, then .....

Is your tablet Android?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Use one password for social sites and save it to your computer .
Save your bank or other important one in a little book or on a pice of paper behind a picture or the back of a drawer .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Save your bank or other important one in a little book or on a pice of paper behind a picture or the back of a drawer .
lmao are you serious !!
Mondays child
United Kingdom

29-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
You NEED a password manager, then .....

Is your tablet Android?
Yes. So is my mobile. I've just replaced my tablet and I thought that I could download my saved passwords from old tablet to new, but sadly not.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

29-03-2018, 02:29 PM

Yes. So is my mobile. I've just replaced my tablet and I thought that I could download my saved passwords from old tablet to new, but sadly not.
Give RoboForm a try - it's free for all your devices - tablet, phone, PC .....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...siber.roboform

Be prepared to spend some time testing it so that you can decide how you want to use it, for example:

- Automatically save new login information when you login to websites.
- View and Edit your Logins, Bookmarks, Identities, and Safenotes.
- Synchronize your RoboForm data with multiple computers and mobile devices.

Once it's set up then you only have to remember ONE password (and even that can be overriden, if desired).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top