Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 02:50 PM

Re: Need diet advice. Please

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Just want to say there is some good info here that we can all use.

While I do have salmon twice a week, I would like to add sardines to my diet but cannot bring myself to eat them straight out of the tin. Suggestions anyone?
Some good recipes here adanac

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/sardine
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
The new thinking, which is old thinking, is just eat a diet that is as close to natural as possible

That is if you eat meat, eat it in as natural a form as possible. Avoid sausages, burgers, ready meals, ham

Keep the carbs - thats your rice, pasta, spuds, potatoes to a minimum. If you fancy potatoes or chips use sweet potatoes as they are much better for you, less carbs and full of vitamins. Change pasta and rice to brown, tastes nicer actually but does take longer to cook

Avoid fizzy drinks, esp those with sweeteners. Drink tea, coffee, water and milk

Keep cheese portions to a minimum. A portion is a matchbox size, and thats not a safety box either

Eat oily fish at least twice a week. I find this easy as I love sardines, mackerel and pilchards from a tin. We also try to fit salmon or another fresh fish dish in each week

Eat 3 times a day, make most of each plateful vegetables

Ive been switching us over to a full fat diet and the weight is falling off us and DH's cholesterol levels are lower. Theres a lot of talk and research now that shows this low fat, full of sweetner and sugar diet that we have been told is good for us, is actually the reason for the increases in diabetes and obesity. More and more cases are being reported where diabetes has been reversed when people have changed over to a high protein low carb diet.

So here, crisps and biscuits are a no no. We do have chocolate, good dark stuff, not huge bars of fat and sugar. Bread is granary, butter is used. Full fat milk and yoghurt are used - all full of Vitamin D and calcium. We don't buy ham, we use chicken and turkey or tuna, sardines for sandwiches

I don't use salt at the table. I do however add a sprinkle to potatoes when cooking and green leafy veg. Tastes bloody awful if I don't and a sprinkle really is a sprinkle. I don't worry because we eat so little in the way of processed food we aren't shovelling hidden spoonfuls of it down our necks daily

I scratch cook 6 days a week and I never spend more then an hour a day in the kitchen. Its not difficult to cook healthy and cheaply using raw ingredients once you get into the swing of it. I often cook a lot of an item and freeze into portions so another day I spend less time cooking. Like tonights chicken, the rest of it will be some sliced for sandwiches, the rest in a stir fry. Im serving it with cauliflower cheese I made Sunday so Ive only peas and cabbage and potatoes to cook, and the left over potatoes and cabbage will be bubble on Friday

Basically we eat the way we did in the 60,s and 70's ( without the over cooking of veg lol ) We eat well, we don't over eat, and I cook from scratch what we eat as much as possible and I don't throw anything away

I totally agree with Missy.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Lion Queen, thanks for that link. I will try the Feel Good Fish Cakes as that is what I am looking for....a recipe where the sardines are cooked, I just can't do the out of the tin.

And that recipe has Greek Yogourt, a bonus. But I think I will try baking them in just a little oil rather than frying.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Lion Queen, thanks for that link. I will try the Feel Good Fish Cakes as that is what I am looking for....a recipe where the sardines are cooked, I just can't do the out of the tin.

And that recipe has Greek Yogourt, a bonus. But I think I will try baking them in just a little oil rather than frying.
Let me know how they are .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 03:41 PM

Just want to say there is some good info here that we can all use.

While I do have salmon twice a week, I would like to add sardines to my diet but cannot bring myself to eat them straight out of the tin. Suggestions anyone?
Hi Adanac I try to eat sardines twice a week and manage to get them down with this recipe.
Drain a tin of sardines in olive oil and dry on kitchen roll
...mash them up with a small teaspoon of yogurt/ chopped capers/black pepper/small squeeze of lemon juice.
Spread on hot toast and sprinkle with a small amount of finely chopped parsley.
Healthy and tasty
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 04:00 PM

The new thinking, which is old thinking, is just eat a diet that is as close to natural as possible
Missy I have always eaten that way but more so since I was diagnosed with a heart condition last year. I have lost a stone since then not by 'dieting' which is a waste of time but making permanent lifestyle changes mainly eating less.

I cook and eat similar to yourself but I don't eat chicken .

I find fresh herbs compensate for a lack of salt, chives in particular mask a lack of salt in potatoes.

For a cold drink I have water with ice and a couple of slices of lemon, when you are drinking it the smell of the lemon fools your brain into thinking you are drinking something else.

I also eat a lot of nuts, almonds mainly, they are my 'go to' snack and very healthy.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 06:45 PM

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice. I cannot wait till I can go home and start looking after myself. I'm just so drained at the moment. Fatigue seems to just flood my body at times. I believe it's a symptom after heart attacks but it's really bringing me down. I want my life back.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 07:09 PM

MC, its all going to take time and if you don't take the time, you are going to get sick again

Are you getting any follow up care anywhere?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 07:11 PM

Even if you're not up to cooking much, it's a good idea too have plenty of fruit around and 'good' cereals like oats or shredded wheat.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 08:39 PM

MC, its all going to take time and if you don't take the time, you are going to get sick again

Are you getting any follow up care anywhere?
Hi Missy,
I'm going back to the hospital next Tuesday for cardiac rehabilitation.
I think things are getting me frustrated because when I get tired its not just tired, it really knocks me sideways. I went out to a couple of shops yesterday but today went to bank and supermarket to buy fruit and nearly collapsed at Tesco feeling dizzy and faint.

I know I'm pushing it but I really would like to be at home but I know that just know it would be a struggle.

I'm being taken to stay with my daughter for a week tomorrow but I'm feeling really uncomfortable about it as I don't know her partner very well at all and on top of that being in someone else's house when you feel ill is awkward anyway.

Sorry I'm moaning as I realise I have no right to really.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top