Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 02:59 PM

Buying ready made curtains

I decided on not going to go with blinds again and instead buy ready made curtains.
It's only two rooms I need to do. Lounge and bedroom.

How do I buy the correct size?? Which is best pole of rail??

I would have asked ex wife before about this but I don't think she's going to want to help me on this sort of thing anymore.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:22 PM

Re: Buying ready made curtains

If I were in your shoes, Monday, I would go somewhere reputable where they sent a person round, measure up, decided with you what you want, choose material, linings, pole size and colour etc etc and then when all is ready they come and put everything together and hang them for you. Job done.

Yes you'll pay more this way, but think of all the headaches you avoid!

Go online and look at the fabrics offered first.

We've had brilliant service from both John Lewis and Dunhelm, with both ready made and made to measure.

I do love curtain poles, saves all that hassle with hooks.
You can have curtain tabs to go on the pole or rings, both look lovely.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Go into John Lewis and they will give you a little booklet telling you what to measure and then you can take these measuremts with you when you are buying ready made .
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 04:06 PM

I have never been able to buy ready made curtains, always had funny size windows so had to have them made.

First you have to measure the windows then you have to know about how much gathering you need, so yes its best to get the experts in to do it for you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 04:17 PM

I bought ready made curtains from dunelm recently. The gathering was taken into account so width was the frame width or rather the curtain rod. There's no problem getting wider curtains because more material looks better and you can just pull it tighter

You have to allow for an extra drop as that's important to the appearance.about six inches longer than the window frame looks good. But some prefer longer for the insulation. Depends where the window is of course as you don't want to interfere with whatever is below it.

Gathering can be quite tricky. The curtains i bought were not knotted at the side so the cord almost came out.

But dunelm have a good range at high quality and low cost. Maybe they provide a measuring service.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 07:53 PM

If you have to put up a curtain pole as well as getting curtains it could be quite easy and convenient to get ready mades. You can get the position/height of the pole put up so the curtains fit length-wise. The easiest ready-mades are the ones with eyelets as they only need the pole (no hooks, rings or gathers to worry about).They just slot over the pole. I have gradually changed over to this type of curtain and think the look is very neat, modern and uncomplicated. If working in inches, I think the longest ready-mades are 90" and the width is also 90" maximum - but I could be wrong.
Have you someone who could help you with this Monday's Child. If not there are plenty of curtains on line and maybe someone could put the pole and curtains up for you. Doesn't take a minute to slip the eyelet ones onto the poles - and off again when you need to.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:27 AM

We have curtain poles for all our ready made curtains.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Putting up a curtain pole can be a piece of work.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:57 AM

Dunelm are very good price wise and the staff are very helpful

Measure your window, width and height and make note if there is a rad under the window or not

Take those measurements along with you, I also do a little drawing of the wall and window, and the girls will be glad to help with the best sizes

My two upstairs bedrooms have rad under the windows so I like my curtains to just brush the top of the rads. I also like to have the tops of the curtains as high as possible so no light gets in and even though I have high narrow windows in those rooms, I managed to get curtains off the shelf very reasonably with no bother

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top