Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 04:55 PM

New laptop transferring stuff.

Hi

I have a new laptop arriving, my old one just keeps getting faults.

They are both Windows 10.

Lots of conflicting advice on swapping data over.

I need to swap all my favourites and saved passwords for example.

Any advice would be welcome.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 05:14 PM

Re: New laptop transferring stuff.

As im hoping to get a new one myself this year,i will keep an eye on this thread.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 05:34 PM

Me too, my old one is held together with sellotape so I think I'll have to save up for a new one, transfering stuff is a big worry!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 05:54 PM

How about doing a back up including a system image onto an external hard drive, then restoring it onto the new pc ? It worked for me some time back.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 06:00 PM

The system image thingy always foxed me.

I did mine the lazy way
I didn't bother with any pre-installed programmes but just saved to an external drive all my own stuff I'd collected or created , like ..... pictures, photos, documents, favourite links from in my browser.

Then I just plugged in the drive, dumped the folders on my new laptops desktop and swept them all into their new home.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 06:36 PM

I've got a Mac - would never go back to Microsoft.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 07:59 PM

My son transferred all my stuff using a mini external hard drive like this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-HD-...70_&dpSrc=srch
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 09:05 PM

If the 2 laptops are similar make/model then the easiest thing to do is take out the hard drive from the old laptop and put it in the new laptop. Then you won't have to transfer anything.

Otherwise, yes, there's going to be a ton of heart ache involved.

Things to consider copying or taking notes in regards to settings:

1. All browser settings including security, privacy settings, blocked sites and so on. Basically everything in the Tools - Options menus. Write it all down.

2. Browser favourites, individual folders etc

3. Antivirus settings

4. Firewall settings, including all blocked IP addresses etc. Some systems let you export the settings to a file which you can then import into the new system.

5. Any changes to your "hosts" file you have made for security and protection. I made a hell of a lot of changes to mine to properly block lots of spam/advertising sites and well known sites that track everything you do like Facebook and Googleads etc

6. Settings for all the software packages you have personally installed. Things like photoshop or whatever your interests are.

7. If you use e-reader sites like Kindle, you'll need to define the new PC as a valid machine etc.

8. Any settings you have made to Microsoft Office

9. Basically bring up Start - Programmes and go through every piece of software that is important to you. Note the settings you have made in each case.

Obviously all local data like documents, photos etc can all be backed up to an external hard disk which you should own already for regular backup. They are very cheap these days.

Good luck with it all !
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
If the 2 laptops are similar make/model then the easiest thing to do is take out the hard drive from the old laptop and put it in the new laptop. Then you won't have to transfer anything.
Bad idea.
Hard drives can fail when they get older. Why take the chance?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Bad idea.
Hard drives can fail when they get older. Why take the chance?

Also, the drivers required for different functions of the machine such as sound cards, Ethernet, video etc may not be compatible with the drivers installed on the old hard drive so there could be problems.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top