Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 11:05 AM

Industrial beef farming

This will change the face of the countryside and not for the better .

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...mpression=true
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 11:47 AM

Re: Industrial beef farming

Not really interested TBH

Anyone with any semblance of interest in the provenance of their meat would never buy meat from a supermarket.

If you want to pay £3 for a pair of jeans from Tesco or Sainsbury's then you ARE choosing to support the industries that produce those products (which means child labour).

Similarly if you want to buy stupidly cheap meat with no provenance from supermarkets then you ARE going to be supporting those commercial industries that produce those products and do so with profits as the priority rather than the animals's welfare and quality of produce.

How cheap does a turd have to be for people to choose to eat those?!

Buy meat from a reputable farm shop where you are sure of the provenance imho.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Not really interested TBH

Anyone with any semblance of interest in the provenance of their meat would never buy meat from a supermarket.

If you want to pay £3 for a pair of jeans from Tesco or Sainsbury's then you ARE choosing to support the industries that produce those products (which means child labour).

Similarly if you want to buy stupidly cheap meat with no provenance from supermarkets then you ARE going to be supporting those commercial industries that produce those products and do so with profits as the priority rather than the animals's welfare and quality of produce.

How cheap does a turd have to be for people to choose to eat those?!

Buy meat from a reputable farm shop where you are sure of the provenance imho.
I am sure you are right Realist, but many people don't have the money to pay for quality beef & even those that do will not win the battle with Supermarkets. If people then decide to eat more veg & produce tasty vegetarian dishes, the price of veg will go up because everyone wants to make more money.

Time is the most precious thing we have and you will never persuade the majority of people to stop doing nearly all their shopping in one store.... so in the future industrial farming will be what everyone , who wants meat, will buy because the small farms will go out of business.....some are already!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 01:42 PM

I don't adhere to that mind set at all Twink I'm afraid.

You only have one body and it's our personal responsibility to prioritise aspects of life, and our health is surely top of that list. Without your health, you have nothing, the rest of life is meaningless. So giving your body the right food is a priority.

It doesn't matter if well sourced food costs more. It's just a question of priority. Everyone has the choice. If they choose smart phones and Sky/cable subscriptions and nice cars and nice branded clothes and expensive hair cuts over quality of food then frankly people get what they deserve.

It's all choice, it's all just a case of prioritising the important aspects of life.

And no, I won't be buying meat from intensive industrial farms. I won't be buying meat from supermarkets. There will ALWAYS be a market there for properly reared meat with high quality and good provenance. Sure it will cost more than supermarket slop but there's no point poisoning yourself with substandard food products just because they are cheap. Again, turds are very cheap, but I don't eat those. Equally MacDonalds is very cheap but I don't eat that crap either. I could, but I choose not to. If I were hard up, I would sacrifice other things in order to be able to buy decent food. Health is the No 1 priority.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I don't adhere to that mind set at all Twink I'm afraid.

You only have one body and it's our personal responsibility to prioritise aspects of life, and our health is surely top of that list. Without your health, you have nothing, the rest of life is meaningless. So giving your body the right food is a priority.

It doesn't matter if well sourced food costs more. It's just a question of priority. Everyone has the choice. If they choose smart phones and Sky/cable subscriptions and nice cars and nice branded clothes and expensive hair cuts over quality of food then frankly people get what they deserve.

It's all choice, it's all just a case of prioritising the important aspects of life.

And no, I won't be buying meat from intensive industrial farms. I won't be buying meat from supermarkets. There will ALWAYS be a market there for properly reared meat with high quality and good provenance. Sure it will cost more than supermarket slop but there's no point poisoning yourself with substandard food products just because they are cheap. Again, turds are very cheap, but I don't eat those. Equally MacDonalds is very cheap but I don't eat that crap either. I could, but I choose not to. If I were hard up, I would sacrifice other things in order to be able to buy decent food. Health is the No 1 priority.
You have every right to decide what you think is best for yourself, but criticizing others for doing what they think is best for them,implies that you are a smart aleck....when you know nothing about them.

I am a diabetic, which was caused by a trauma, but I am fit, healthy, have beaten cancer.....and guess what, I often buy meat from the supermarket.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 02:39 PM

i hate the thought of those cattle being treated like that. Once again, it is the result of having too many people in this Country, too many mouths to feed.
Those that advocate taking in all and sundry ignore the resulting problems.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 03:42 PM

Quite so Longdogs .
We don't eat a lot of red meat but yes I buy from the supermarkets .
The main criteria is they have a car park!
High street butchers are all very well but added to their pricey wares is the cost of paying for parking and then carting stuff back to the car .
We try to eat more veggies thes days than meat and feel better for it
Children and young working people have bigger appetites and need meat more than older people .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Quite so Longdogs .
We don't eat a lot of red meat but yes I buy from the supermarkets .
The main criteria is they have a car park!
High street butchers are all very well but added to their pricey wares is the cost of paying for parking and then carting stuff back to the car .
We try to eat more veggies thes days than meat and feel better for it
Children and young working people have bigger appetites and need meat more than older people .
We also have mainly vegetarian but our supermarket struggles to keep up sometimes. I have tried the local green grocers and although a lot nicer, it's a lot more expensive.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top