Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Re: Oleanders

I don't think I have heard of it before.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 05:35 PM

I was first attracted to them when we were on holiday in Turkey. There was an avenue of pink, white and red oleanders along the sea front which I always admired.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 04:03 AM

It was probably decades ago but I remember reading about a woman who poisoned her husband with Oleander by making the leaves into angelica and putting it on a cake she fed to him. Presumably she was caught otherwise I wouldn't have read it.

Most kids here are aware of the dangers of Oleander because they grow like a weed and many parks and streetscape have them they are literally everywhere.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Guess I must be an exception.
I have 4 Orleanders there was 5 but one gave up the ghost.
The one in the back garden blooms every year lovely yellow flowers whilst the ones at the front (south facing) two of them I struggle to get flowers off but the third (red) which I grew at the back and transferred to the front blooms every year all in pots.
My dog plays under them and I trim them without gloves.
Never had any problems.
I also have a Mimosa thriving out the back that is supposedly dangerous to animals but once again my JR and I play ball around that and it never bothers her.
I suppose plants are like foods some can harm humans.
Luckily enough I bought them before I read these things otherwise I would not be getting the benefits of lovely plants.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top