Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Re: Wool pellets

Hi

The best way to control slugs and snails is to have Ducks, they are ace at it.

They are used commercially to control them in vineyards.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:15 PM

Cheap dishwasher salt.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:20 PM

Mups I had no luck with them .
Meanwhile I have tried egg shells and wood ash ( not effective )
A the moment I am trying cayenne pepper that'll teach the little blighters-unless they like hot food
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Mups I had no luck with them .
Meanwhile I have tried egg shells and wood ash ( not effective )
A the moment I am trying cayenne pepper that'll teach the little blighters-unless they like hot food

I don't know if these slug nematoes are worth a try Muddy?

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/nemaslug/8-nemaslug
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Cheap dishwasher salt.
Wouldn't that kill the plants too?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Oh dear.

That's the trouble, not much seems to work apart from the dreaded slug pellets.

There was a woman on TV talking about slugs/snails and she said that copper was good deterrent. The presenter laid the copper strip on the table and the snail walked straight over it.
In theory, it's better to place two copper strips/wires in parallel a centimetre or so apart. When the slug/snail goes across both at the same time, the copper generates a small electric shock between the two strips either killing the slug or at the very least make it think again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:35 PM

So Judsy, what do you think about this write up?

Quote:
Copper compounds may be toxic, but copper metal is not.

The green patina developed on copper metal over time is a copper carbonate salt and could be toxic.

The second claim is that the slime from slugs connects with the metallic copper and the slug gets a small electrical shock from it. This is unpleasant and slugs stay off the copper.

I have not been able to find any scientific reference showing that this is true. It is just repeated thousands of times. So let’s apply some logic. You can create a simple battery by inserting copper wire and a galvanized nail into a lemon. This will produce a small current that is measurable. You need 3 important components to make this work; two electrodes of different metals, and an electrolyte–the juice in the lemon. If you want to see a lemon battery in action have a look at this video.

In the case of the snail we have the copper, and the electrolyte in the form of slug slime.The second electrode is missing. Also missing is the connection between the two electrodes which allows the current to flow. I don’t believe that putting slime onto copper will produce an electric charge.

That was an exert from this website:

https://www.gardenmyths.com/how-to-g...s-with-copper/
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:52 PM

That's why I mentioned two copper wires/tapes - there's a potential difference generated between the two wires when the slug crosses both wires at the same time.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 10:06 PM

So basically, you just need a couple of coppers to stop them.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
So basically, you just need a couple of coppers to stop them.
'ello 'ello 'ello - wot 'ave we here then - a couple of wanderin slugs out on a cold winters night up to no good I suspect and headin to the lettuce patch - I think we need to talk to yuz two down at the slug depot - we 'ave a few hundred of ya mates down there already!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top