Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

12-09-2017, 06:41 PM

Re: The Tax Trap

Originally Posted by Leia ->
Also families are working the minimum number of hours to maximise benefits. Why wouldn't families want to spend more time at home with the children these days! I used to be a manager and if I asked a particular single mother if she'd work some extra hours for me, she'd reach for the calculator before giving me an answer.
I can understand the frustration, but you can't expect somebody to work extra hours if it makes that person financially worse off. It is the system that is at fault, not the employee. If somebody working has to top up their earnings with benefits, then that person isn't being paid enough to begin with.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Then maybe that person should find a job that pays higher or is he/she shackled to the work bench? Lots of people seem to be surviving by not working
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by WoollyBack ->
I can understand the frustration, but you can't expect somebody to work extra hours if it makes that person financially worse off. It is the system that is at fault, not the employee. If somebody working has to top up their earnings with benefits, then that person isn't being paid enough to begin with.
I'm talking about someone who chooses to work 16 hours minimum. How can that person be financially worse off if they have the opportunity to work full time hours?
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

12-09-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The 16 hours figure has IMO ruined many peoples work ethic. Yes I agree anyone would like to be home more but only working 16 hours and getting more money than someone working 60 can't be right.
I agree entirely that somebody working 16 hours should not be paid more than somebody working 60 hours. But that doesn't mean the person on 16 hours is being paid too much, it means the person on 60 hours is being paid too little.

I also do not agree that many people's work ethic has been ruined. It has been suppressed by the system, but it is still there. It just needs nurturing and encouraging with more realistic wage structures (i.e. making work pay)
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

12-09-2017, 07:23 PM

Obviously not read my posts properly swim. I've never been in favour of in work benefits or top ups. People actually on benefits because of disability do deserve more they aren't to be punished because they can't work ! Pensioners need more its not a crime to get old. Sick pay should be more being sick doesn't mean you can refuse to pay your rent !

But working tax credits are evil IMO I've never ever argued they should be more or even should be paid.

Read more carefully you may realise your error.
I've never been in favour of people being paid so poorly that they qualify for in work benefits or top ups.
Working tax credits aren't evil. Low wages are evil.
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

12-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Many people were awfully jealous when we were briefly on benefit, we had a nice car, TV, holiday etc all bought before my husband's stroke that saw him out of work for a year. Amazed me how many were so short sighted they couldn't see we hadn't purchased them with our massive payment of £72 a fortnight ! I really think some should try living on benefit before commenting on the subject.
Its a rare person on out of work benefits really have an easy life buying all they want.
I would recommend a year on benefits for anyone who thinks living on benefits is easy. It would be a real eye-opener for many.
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

12-09-2017, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
There are some very closed minds on here plying the tory hate and bile mantra that those on benefits are subhuman, yet have these people not contributed to the pot during their working days.

Many jobs contribute to bad health, or even snatched away for political ideology, having support when its needed is something i believe in.

This money is then spent in the economy to help keep businesses going, a few may well be scroungers we seem to have imported a fair share of those
but they are in the minority, every section of society has some. Most here grew up through a time when houses and work were not hard to come by

Very different now, and especially if your not part of the London centric bubble
Couldn't agree with you more
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by WoollyBack ->
I would recommend a year on benefits for anyone who thinks living on benefits is easy. It would be a real eye-opener for many.
Been there, done that, anyone's life can get turned upside down through no fault of their own. Would I choose benefits over working...never!
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

12-09-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We do have enough unemployed to do this work.

In order to guarantee that they do do it we would have to change the law to force them to move to rural areas at certain times of the year.

It is not 9 to 5 work either, no weekends off and it is weather dependant.

It will be something of a shock to many.
In my younger days I never worked 9-5, rarely had weekends off and I have been out in all kinds of weather. BUT I was well paid for it.
Agricultural work at minimum wage just doesn't cut it.
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

12-09-2017, 08:06 PM

While I agree it's unfair it's the system to blame not the person working 16 hours IMO.

You'd likely find to a lesser degree but still significant if a person earned nmw and worked full time they'd still get housing benefit and other top ups. It's impossible to live on nmw within several miles of London.
Bang on the button.
I know people who work full time yet still qualify for benefits, because their employers feel justified in paying as little as possible.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top