Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:16 PM

I baked my potatoes for 55 minutes yet they were still hard inside

I don't know what went wrong. Normally 55 minutes is enough. Perhaps the oven was a bit less hot than normal. Or perhaps it's because I was cooking two instead of my normal one. They are a bit smaller than usual.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Re: I baked my potatoes for 55 minutes yet they were still hard inside

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I don't know what went wrong. Normally 55 minutes is enough. Perhaps the oven was a bit less hot than normal. Or perhaps it's because I was cooking two instead of my normal one. They are a bit smaller than usual.
It depends on the type of potato.

Some potatoes are better for baking than others.

I think it depends on whether they are floury potatoes or waxy potatoes.

In the olden days, you could usually bet on King Edwards being the Rolls Royces of potatoes, but I haven't seen any for years.
Dunno why.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:22 PM

I find it best to half (or even mostly) cook potatoes in the microwave oven first and then bake them to get the skin crispy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
In the olden days, you could usually bet on King Edwards being the Rolls Royces of potatoes, but I haven't seen any for years.
They have them in Sainsbury's just now. The others that are good for baking are Roosters.

Ffosse - I sometimes boil mine for about 10 mins before putting them in to bake - that seems to work.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:23 PM

Ffosse, do you have a microwave? If so ensure you slightly cut into the potato all over with a knife, this allows it to cook right through. Ten minutes in the microwave and then the same again in the oven, just to crisp the potato up on the outside and it should be done just right.

Since a recent change of lifestyle I've been having sweet baked potatoes instead of white, I find they need less topping to taste good.

Edited to add that it seems I was a little slow with my reply as others have posted similarly.
Well, we can't all be wrong can we? Or equally, great minds think alike!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:27 PM

If I were baking potatoes I'd stab them all over with a fork and cut a cross in the top. I do that anyway but always microwave them 4 mins each side then a bit more if with baked beans. If I did them in the oven it would have to be at the same time as doing a roast or something.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Long and low is how I do baked potatoes, about two hours at same temperature I do a rice pudding. Hence you can usually find I do baked potatoes same day we have a rice pudding or vice versus.

Sweet potatoes take far less time though, only about 50 minutes so I am wondering if it depends how sweet the potatoes are for the correct cooking time. Last lot of bakers I got from tesco were quite a sweet tasting potato.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Long and low is how I do baked potatoes, about two hours at same temperature I do a rice pudding. Hence you can usually find I do baked potatoes same day we have a rice pudding or vice versus.

Sweet potatoes take far less time though, only about 50 minutes so I am wondering if it depends how sweet the potatoes are for the correct cooking time. Last lot of bakers I got from tesco were quite a sweet tasting potato.
Oo, all round to Julie’s for baked spuds and rice pud mmmm
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Next time you'd be welcome it's egg and salad today I'm on my own so having what I fancy.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Next time you'd be welcome it's egg and salad today I'm on my own so having what I fancy.
Yes, but what’s for afters Julie?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top