Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 05:05 AM

Re: I baked my potatoes for 55 minutes yet they were still hard inside

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I don't know what went wrong. Normally 55 minutes is enough. Perhaps the oven was a bit less hot than normal. Or perhaps it's because I was cooking two instead of my normal one. They are a bit smaller than usual.
I always used to put a metal skewer through the potato in the oven (on the theory that the metal conducted heat to the the centre from each end). A few years ago I found couple of spiky things in an Op shop for a dollar each.

They hold a potato on each spike of 4 vertical spikes, they are made of aluminium so presumably they conduct heat better than the steel skewer.

Personally for the average slightly bigger than fist size potato I give 'em an hour at 180°C - they are always cooked but the skin is just nice to eat too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 08:27 AM

Try the Mccain one's

Preheat the oven to 220°C / 430°F / Gas Mark 7. For fan assisted ovens that's 210°C / 425°F. Place your McCain Ready Baked Jackets onto a baking tray and pop them into the middle of the oven. Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, until they're lovely and crisp
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
It depends on the type of potato.

Some potatoes are better for baking than others.

I think it depends on whether they are floury potatoes or waxy potatoes.

In the olden days, you could usually bet on King Edwards being the Rolls Royces of potatoes, but I haven't seen any for years.
Dunno why.
They are the only ones I grow on my allotment.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Ffosse, I scrub my bakers, stab them with a fork, cut a slit in the top, rub a little oil all over them and lay them directly onto the oven shelf (never on a baking tray) and bake them for 1 hour 15 minutes . Never failed to have crispy skins and really soft potato. I usually use King Edwards but if I can't get hold of them, then I plonk for Tesco Finest packs of 2 x baking potatoes.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Ffosse, I scrub my bakers, stab them with a fork, cut a slit in the top, rub a little oil all over them and lay them directly onto the oven shelf (never on a baking tray) and bake them for 1 hour 15 minutes . Never failed to have crispy skins and really soft potato. I usually use King Edwards but if I can't get hold of them, then I plonk for Tesco Finest packs of 2 x baking potatoes.
SG, Am l right I right in thinking, you have a Panasonic Turbo4 combination microwave like l have?
I do my jacket potatoes in there, on the ‘Potatoes’ programme and they are perfect. They take less than 15 minutes to bake.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 06:26 AM

I'd always found 55 minutes at about 200c to be fine for one potato. Obviously having 2 in the oven takes a bit more time.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 08:33 AM

I can never get my baked potatoes to have crispy skins. Don't know why.

Even when they come out of the oven reasonably crispy, within a very short while, they aren't crispy any more.

I've tried on a baking tray, not on a baking tray, top shelf. Middle shelf, but nothing seems to work.

They are cooked, because the insides are soft and fluffy.

Am wondering if it's because my oven is electric? I don't remember having this problem with a gas oven, but that was many years ago, now.

Any suggestions?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 08:42 AM

I microwave mine first then oven bake them and they always have crisp skins....its more luck than good management though so don't ask me for timings I just guess and go by touch

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top