Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Re: Halloween, for it or agin it?

If your "halloween" is the same one as that real ale of the same name that I had this lunchtime then I'm all for it !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 03:13 PM

Old fashioned Halloween when we went round the doors doing penny for the guy with our Turnip lanterns and home made guy which was burnt on bonfire night and the money we got went on fireworks.

None of that Yankee rubbish for me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 04:01 PM

I wouldn't let them have fireworks we do it for the sweets, we are not keen on Guy Fawlkes celebrations but love All Hallows Eve. Certain films we always watch too like Hocus Pocus and Arsenic and Old lace, and To Kill a Mockingbird.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 04:37 PM

When my children were small and we lived on the front of an estate, we let them go round the estate collecting but we were only 3 miles from St Andrews Hospital Billericay, the home of the Billericay Burns Unit so they collected for that not sweets. It was rather nice to donate to them just before Fireworks night. Seemed right somehow.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 05:01 PM

I too am an old misery I'm afraid. I just don't believe in it at all. To me it is just another form of begging just like Penny for the Guy was - although you don't see much of that any more.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Im not keen on it ,one year the young teenagers went round,and they squirted toothpaste over cars ,and in the garden hedges .There was a lot of complaints that year .
I don't know what to expect this year having only moved in earlier this year.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 05:52 PM

We go out with our pockets bulging with loose change and dish it out to the young children who have made an effort, we ensure they are with an adult otherwise I wouldn't feel comfortable giving money directly to them and I'd be concerned how it was spent, any older kids would probably get someone to purchase cigarettes for them, they've tried it with me but it wasn't going to happen!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 05:52 PM

I think the whole thing is rather a silly idea and fortunately it doesn't affect me out here in the wilds where there are no children around. I can close the curtains and forget it .
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Awww Mags, your grandchildren look great I like to see their excited and hopeful faces. Must get some sweets in tomorrow.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 06:55 PM

We used to have kids come round when we lived in Sheffield but for the last few years where we are now, in Bungalow land never see any.

They don't seem to want sweets though, just money. I thought trick or treat meant if you didn't give them sweets you got tricked - I gave sweets and still had orange juice slung at my window!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top