Join for free
Page 367 of 1676 « First < 267 317 357 365 366 367 368 369 377 417 467 867 1367 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

As long as Borderline folks are well away from the epicentre, all will be well, hopefully.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 11:21 PM

Exactly Spitty.

Digital brains?

One can never trust written official accounts of history, even events I can recall here in the city have been altered. My dad was a local historian with a fantastic memory right up to the end. I was thinking that if they could digitalise the brains of modern historians/scientists and store them then future generations would get a truer picture of what actually happened.
Writing it all down is not so easy for really old people, and recording it is too laborious, you have to drag it out of them and they can’t be bothered most of the time.
Well I searched around and it seems it can’t be done yet because the brain is not digital it’s analog, all the signals sent to the brain would have to be converted and the receiver, in this case the brain would also have to be digitalised, so far they haven’t come up with a way of doing this conversion.
Reminds me of the pagan who came to Dublin to be converted, they took him down to Lansdowne road and kicked him over the bar.

Get this,
“Organic brains are not like electronic computers: they are analog, not digital.* One critical distinction is simply "Granularity – for a continuously variable analog value to be represented in digital form there occur quantization error which is difference in actual analog value and digital representation and this property of digital communication is known as granularity."*

Did you get that Captain Kirk? There you have it, if you can figure that out your brain is halfway there.
And there was me thinking ‘granularity’ was a granny who never suffered from constipation.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
As long as Borderline folks are well away from the epicentre, all will be well, hopefully.
you mean like in Bali??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Exactly Spitty.

Digital brains?

One can never trust written official accounts of history, even events I can recall here in the city have been altered. My dad was a local historian with a fantastic memory right up to the end. I was thinking that if they could digitalise the brains of modern historians/scientists and store them then future generations would get a truer picture of what actually happened.
Writing it all down is not so easy for really old people, and recording it is too laborious, you have to drag it out of them and they can’t be bothered most of the time.
Well I searched around and it seems it can’t be done yet because the brain is not digital it’s analog, all the signals sent to the brain would have to be converted and the receiver, in this case the brain would also have to be digitalised, so far they haven’t come up with a way of doing this conversion.
Reminds me of the pagan who came to Dublin to be converted, they took him down to Lansdowne road and kicked him over the bar.

Get this,
“Organic brains are not like electronic computers: they are analog, not digital.* One critical distinction is simply "Granularity – for a continuously variable analog value to be represented in digital form there occur quantization error which is difference in actual analog value and digital representation and this property of digital communication is known as granularity."*

Did you get that Captain Kirk? There you have it, if you can figure that out your brain is halfway there.
And there was me thinking ‘granularity’ was a granny who never suffered from constipation.
y0u been on the jungle juice again Jem? they still can't figure out what appens in the brain when people get depressed; suicidal; schizohrenic ; manic etc etc maybe changing our brains from analog to digital would make us super happy ? I once had a girl friend who I called 'analog' when we went walkin in the woods I would ask her "where would you like to lay with me a while?" she would reply "analog" but I could never find a girl who would digital??

I see Prune Harry has got himself engaged at last - the smell of the forest was too strong heh? and his granny is delighted? - pull the other one - commoners in the palace??
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 09:38 AM

Reading all this clever stuff am unsure as to whether I have
Hidden DEPTHS/SHALLOWS

(Delete whichever is inapplicable)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

28-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Reading all this clever stuff am unsure as to whether I have
Hidden DEPTHS/SHALLOWS

(Delete whichever is inapplicable)
just jump in the deep end FGS Robert!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Borders and borderlines, looks like the prophecies of old Chief Dan George were right when he said ‘Everyones gotta have an edge”

Who knows whats hidden in the soul of man RJ, shallows can be overlooked, but one must always pay ones depths.

Sometimes it pays to jump in at the deep end Gummy, I jumped into marriage at 19 and never regretted it, and sometimes it can be disastrous, all depends on the luck of the draw, we are all in the hands of fate.

All together now, a blast from “He who valiant be” as remembered from the film "Clockwork" with John Cleese.

“He who would valiant be ’gainst all disaster,
Let him in constancy follow the Master.
There’s no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent to be a pilgrim”

As the gay man said to the salvation band leader when asked what hymn would he like “Him over there with the big drum”

Oh I do feel spiritually uplifted after that, like one of the pilgrims setting out for the new world, God forgive me, one should not knock those gallant folks.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Umm...re the convo regarding the brain...
The difference between analog and digital signals is that analogue information is translated into electrical pulses of varying amplitude.
Digital signals are binary and thus require reformatting into 'information'.
Signals to the brain HAVE to be analogue,due to the time required to convert received signals into 'action-information' which can be then converted into actions perceived as of urgency and immediacy...but digital signals are sent-and received- in binary form [zeros and ones] which would require 'reading and converting' prior to re-transmitting to the body in instantly understandable form. Although this would be a very small moment of time,it can be that split-second of hesitation that makes the difference between survival and death.
....and I shall now once again go away...sorry....carry on....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-11-2017, 07:40 PM

By Jove you know your stuff Pug, very clearly explained, thanks for that. Another problem unpuggled. Are you sure you wasn’t on the Starship Enterprise, a pupil of Mr. Spock perhaps?

That bit about ‘He who valiant be’ is credited to the man with the sore feet John Bunyon, Al Jolson paid tribute to him in the song THE SPANIARD THAT BLIGHTED MY LIFE
(Billy Merson). The connection there must be the Spanish and the Pilgrims heading for America, give or take a few hundred years apart.

“I’ll raise a bunion on his Spanish onion
If I catch him bending tonight”
Wonder what ‘bending tonight’ means? You done any bending lately Gummy? I know poor Spitty is out there on the patio bending his knees night after night, and if it wasn’t so cold I’d be out bending me own elbow tonight.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-11-2017, 10:19 PM

I don't like accordion music, well solo accordion music, it goes back to my childhood.
Every last Thursday of the month a farmer friend of my fathers would come to our house to give us poor kids a ‘Treat’ of music, we were all five of us herded into the parlour and seated, nay, nailed to chairs for an hours delight of reels hornpipes and folk songs all performed by this overfed whiskey drinking gentleman farmer, he had a huge accordion and brought his own flask of whiskey, he’s be a long time waiting for whiskey in our house back then if he hadn’t.
It was absolute torture for us kids, his playing left a lot to be desired and his singing was atrocious, but having said that the poor fellow was doing his best, must have been some sort of contrition for whatever sins he committed, couldn’t have been anything to do with sex for no woman in her right mind would go near him, he was very fat, sweated a lot, and had a face like Edward G. Robinson after receiving bad news.
Bless his old heart he would always bring some fresh farm eggs and milk with him for the mother, but the older brother and me wouldn’t touch them because he would always say to the mother “There you are now Katie, sure I always say you can’t beat your own milk and eggs”
The brother and me had visions of Mr Callahan giving his own milk and laying his own eggs, yuk!
Oh course the protests didn’t last long, you ate what was put in front of you and if you didn’t it wouldn’t be there to look a second time.

Page 367 of 1676 « First < 267 317 357 365 366 367 368 369 377 417 467 867 1367 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top