Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 09:29 PM

Re: Girl, 4, raped and slashed with razor in horrific attack in New Delhi

I will never understand how any human being can act towards a child in this vile, depraved way. This poor little girl will have to live with physical and mental scarring for the rest of her life.
My only hope is that something equally vile is visited upon the perpetrators of this terrible crime, though that seems highly unlikely.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 09:42 AM

Not sure what point this thread is making .

Terrible things happen to children in every country including in this one, it would be easy to trawl through the papers in every country looking for horrific things about children to post.

People are the same the world over, some are good some are twisted and do terrible things.

It won't bother to list all the recent horrific cases which have happened to children here, many are too horrible to contemplate including the case of April Jones and the court case going on in Bristol at the moment.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Terrible things happen to children in every country including in this one, it would be easy to trawl through the papers in every country looking for horrific things about children to post.

People are the same the world over, some are good some are twisted and do terrible things.

It won't bother to list all the recent horrific cases which have happened to children here, many are too horrible to contemplate including the case of April Jones and the court case going on in Bristol at the moment.
You are right, of course Meg. No one nation, ethnicity, religion or political outlook has a monopoly on evil. It is pretty universal - as is good!

I don't think I'm a do-gooder, but I am concerned about the death penalty. Not because I don't want these scumbags killed, but because I don't think our justice systems are good enough to guarantee that the right person is the one executed. Even taking British justice alone, there are hundreds of cases where the wrong person has been convicted of murder, only for the decision to be overthrown several years later when new evidence comes to light. It's a bit to late to say sorry if the convicted person has been judicially killed. I would rather have 10 guilty people languishing in Jail than one innocent person wrongly executed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
You are right, of course Meg. No one nation, ethnicity, religion or political outlook has a monopoly on evil. It is pretty universal - as is good!

I don't think I'm a do-gooder, but I am concerned about the death penalty. Not because I don't want these scumbags killed, but because I don't think our justice systems are good enough to guarantee that the right person is the one executed. Even taking British justice alone, there are hundreds of cases where the wrong person has been convicted of murder, only for the decision to be overthrown several years later when new evidence comes to light. It's a bit to late to say sorry if the convicted person has been judicially killed. I would rather have 10 guilty people languishing in Jail than one innocent person wrongly executed.
I agree Mick

ETA
Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
And the do gooders say scum who do this sort of thing should not be strung up. Are they having a laugh or what?
I find the term 'do gooder' very patronising .
What is a 'do gooder' anyway.

'Do gooder' someone who always tries to help people, especially people who are poor or in trouble. This word is used as a criticism, to suggest that their help is unnecessary or unsuitable
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...tish/do-gooder
Without 'do gooders' there would have been no social reform and we would still have child labour, child prostitution and be sticking little boys up chimneys..
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 10:46 AM

I´m sure we are all aware that dreadful things happen to children in the UK as well as other countries and of course we don´t have to "trawl" through newspapers to find such articles because many of these dreadful happenings "pop up" as news headlines on our computer screens. I´m sure we also all know, and often post about, animal cruelty and abuse in other countries even though we know that animal cruelty and abuse goes on in the UK too.

Are we not supposed to be concerned about such things occurring in other countries? Is a child in the UK more important than a child in India, or any other country? Is there any point in posting about anything because there is very little anyone of us here can do to change things by sitting at a computer posting about anything. Perhaps amongst us there are some who have tried and who have made a difference in some small way, perhaps just to one child or one animal, but it really is a tiny drop in the ocean. The one comfort for me personally is that at least in such places as India, the men who did this dreadful thing at least stand a chance of being dealt with by the family or local people, which as far as I´m concerned is better justice than languishing in a UK jail with their every need catered for.
Red Kite
Red Kite is female 

12-10-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

LONG POST WARNING

Considering myself told off. It confuses me at times on here.

Yes, what is the point you are of course right moderator Meg.

I should have kept shtum as was my initial inclination....as I said in my second post ... I worked with adults abused as children here, in the UK.

The point of the thread to me Meg, is that people still CARE and don't look the other way.

Sometimes a person should be able to let of steam about something in a safe way. Sometimes that is all they can do.

I know all about the case you mention (AJ,) and a great many others I am sure you don't know about

Yes Mick you are quite right..... I was talking about my own feelings in my second post....due process.. I know all about it.

If you look back I didn't say that people SHOULD be shot or the legal process circumvented.

I said that I knew what I could be capable of as a person.

I'm a retired lawyer, I put my lawyer head on when I need to.

Due process.. not to be confused with justice...

A young woman who was abused as a child at a music school in Manchester takes her own life after a thorough humiliation in the witness box by one of my own.... just one example.

It's not just the innocent accused we, as a Society,let down.. it's those brave victims/survivors who have the courage to finally speak up after many years ....and what we do to them in this legal system.

I think the OP was quite right to draw our attention to what's happening in the world.

Whats the point of it?

To raise awareness and allow some of us to express our views imo. in a safe way... not a vigilante mob on the street way....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 11:00 AM

Well I am sure those of us who are considered do gooders care just as much about the young girls as those who want to see the criminals killed I just don't approve the death penalty for anyone, it's too quick for some. I am not sure we do need to hear all the gory details - how does it help the child to have it pondered over by people across the world ? Now means she has to live with the knowledge everyone knows as well as the injuries she has to learn to live with.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-10-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I´m sure we are all aware that dreadful things happen to children in the UK as well as other countries and of course we don´t have to "trawl" through newspapers to find such articles because many of these dreadful happenings "pop up" as news headlines on our computer screens.
Loretta they don't pop upon mine...

Are we not supposed to be concerned about such things occurring in other countries? Is a child in the UK more important than a child in India, or any other country?
That is just my point , we can be concerned about all of them wherever they may take place place, but why highlight one event which happens to be in India.

Perhaps amongst us there are some who have tried and who have made a difference in some small way, perhaps just to one child or one animal, but it really is a tiny drop in the ocean.
Oh do you mean what some disparaging people would call the 'do gooders' I expect there are but all the drops add up to make the ocean don't they .

The one comfort for me personally is that at least in such places as India, the men who did this dreadful thing at least stand a chance of being dealt with by the family or local people, which as far as I´m concerned is better justice than languishing in a UK jail with their every need catered for.
ah I see not a point made in the original post which just seemed to be yet another example of man's inhumanity.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Red Kite ->
Considering myself told off. It confuses me at times on here.
Yes, what is the point you are of course right moderator Meg.
Why 'told off ' Maz we are adults here expressing different opinions we don't 'tell people off' .
I was a Member before I was a Moderator, being a Mod does not preclude me from expressing my view.

I should have kept shtum as was my initial inclination....as I said in my second post ... I worked with adults abused as children here, in the UK
...again why, you are free to express an opinion just as I am.
I have also worked with abused adults in a voluntary capacity.

The point of the thread to me Meg, is that people still CARE and don't look the other way.
Does posting an article about an appalling event which happened somewhere and some people saying 'how awful' and what they would do the perpetrators denote they care?
It could mean a number of things.

Sometimes a person should be able to let of steam about something in a safe way. Sometimes that is all they can do.
I can appreciate that.

I know all about the case you mention (AJ,) and a great many others I am sure you don't know about
I also know about cases of which others are not aware, they have never been in the public domain. And I am aware of the 'circles of abuse' which is probably why I am not so quick as some people to judge others .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 12:54 PM

I don't understand the objection to this thread, because it is a discussion forum so surely anything, that isn't banned, can be discussed. If this had happened in Britain it would have been headline news and discussed by everybody, so why ignore it because it is a child in India?
Maybe none of us can offer help, in this case, but it does open our eyes to what happens in countries that make sure the rest of the world doesn't see what goes on there through their own press. I some cases children from other parts of the world do get help because somebody sees their story in a news paper or internet news story, who can help! Look at the little girl who was brought to Britain when her life was put at risk because she was fighting to get an education. That young girl now has a much better life and I am sure we all hope that this 4 year old may get some help from somebody who cares and can help.
If there was an appeal asking for money to help improve this child's condition, I am sure there would be plenty of people willing to give a donation to help, because I know I would!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top