Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 12:08 PM

Giving up dairy

Since January 1st we decided to give up all dairy products, milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream, chocolate etc.
Not surprisingly we have lost weight, as vegetarians we previously ate a lot of cheese and also feel moe lively.
I don't miss it at all, in fact I think the fat in dairy may well be addictive, leading to cravings.
Any others out there?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Re: Giving up dairy

I could never give up dairy products as I feel you need fats to cushion your brain, heart and your other main organs.
I also feel you need dairy products for the calcium and to keep your bones healthy. I have never broken a bone in my body. These days if I fall, I just seem to bounce!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Lots of foods can be addictive but casomorphin, or food opioids which is what you may be referring to do not play any role in addictions.

Far more important is maintaining nutrition
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
Since January 1st we decided to give up all dairy products, milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream, chocolate etc.
Not surprisingly we have lost weight, as vegetarians we previously ate a lot of cheese and also feel moe lively.
I don't miss it at all, in fact I think the fat in dairy may well be addictive, leading to cravings.
Any others out there?
I am lactose intolerant so don't drink milk or eat ice cream .
Giving up chocolate and cheese is a step too far.
On a point of interest what do you eat ?
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 12:32 PM

Milk has been replaced mainly by soya but also rice, coconut, almond and hemp milk.
Soya marge, eg Vitalite, soya yogurt.
Lots of vegetables, fruit, cereals, rice, quinoa, very little bread/cries reads, nuts, soya/Quorn meat substitutes, beans, eggs.
Hasn't been a problem at all and no hunger pangs!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 12:33 PM

I would never give up dairy products, giving up many foods entirely can be counterproductive.
We older women in particular need calcium if we are to avoid osteoporosis.

The answer for me is not to give up certain foods entirely but variety and and eating things in moderation leading to a balanced diet.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 12:36 PM

Being coeliac I struggle enough, in my opinion, so not giving up dairy, however it is common for coeliacs to become lactose intolerant ! That would be really bad for me as I love butter and yogurts.
Jennifer Eckles
New Member!
London
Jennifer Eckles is female 

27-01-2016, 12:36 PM

I've cut down drastically on dairy and feel so much better for it. I'll admit I did eat lots of it. Lots of milk in tea and coffee and lots of cheese and butter. In spite of (mostly) giving it up I haven't lost weight and I wasn't overweight to start with as I work out and lead a very active life.

However ... The big bonus for me is that I wasn't easily able to kneel down without excruciating pain in my knees and if I did kneel down it was hellish trying to get back up again. Since giving up a large percentage of dairy that pain has gone. I don't know if it was arthritis or what but it's gone. I'm in my sixties and look after a toddler every day so being agile is important to me.

We don't really need dairy, it's not designed for humans, but it's so readily available it's tempting to use it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 12:41 PM

I couldn't give up dairy, I know I could as I have had to give up many food groups due to allergies but it would be too hard to give up milk and cheese and butter.
Yolande
London, UK

27-01-2016, 12:42 PM

The dairy for calcium myth is put about by the Dairy Industry.
Research it....... necessary calcium can be found in beans, peas, kale, leafy greens, almonds, oranges, orange juice, sesame seeds, soy milk and tofu.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top