Join for free
Page 4 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Logan
Spain
Logan is male 

13-03-2018, 08:41 AM

Re: Britain could leave the Bloc and do things better!

If you join a club like the EU you pool your sovereignty for the greater good for all. The UK was given a veto and any treaty they signed up for had to be ratified by parliament.

There was never any question of anyone or any institution "taking over". It is a collective, sharing is at it's heart.

The best quote I have read on Brexit came this week from the Luxembourg prime minister.

"Britain was in (the EU) with opt outs. Now they want to be out with opt in's"

Kind of sums it all up brilliantly
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 08:57 AM

I see you live in Spain Logan so we might have differing views but I don't see why it's seen as disgraceful that we want to pick the parts of the EU that suit us as a country ? What's so bad about that?

We never joined a Federal State of Europe that's something that's evolved, it's not what we wanted so we want t to leave but we still want to trade what's so bad about that?
Logan
Spain
Logan is male 

13-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Summer
I don't say the opts out's were disgraceful. They were all agreed democratically and were acceptable to the other states. Despite Britain having huge advantages over the remainder nations.

The EU is not going to be a Federal State. Yuncker said as much in a recent speech. Many other states also oppose federalism.

My best hope is Britain can still negotiate a close relationship with the EU. Then eventually future generations by majority will see the UK's best hope in a globalised world is to re-join the club.

The sad part is the opt outs will become red lines and Britain will not anymore enjoy the advantages it currently has.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Logan ->
If you join a club like the EU you pool your sovereignty for the greater good for all. The UK was given a veto and any treaty they signed up for had to be ratified by parliament.

There was never any question of anyone or any institution "taking over". It is a collective, sharing is at it's heart.

The best quote I have read on Brexit came this week from the Luxembourg prime minister.

Hi

The problem is that the EU is dictating to some and not others.

Both France and Germany have not been complying with the rules of the EURO, Germany has a surplus, France a deficit.

Luxembourg is the biggest Tax Haven in the EU, yet Juncker is chasing Ireland, not his own Country.

Merkel invited the influx of Economic Migrants without any consultation and then insisted other EU Countries take them.

That is not a system I want any part of.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Logan we joined The Common Market which as the name suggest was a trading organisation and we did so in order to trade more easily also the idea being you don't go to war with those whom you trade.
It was nothing to do with 'Sovereignty', since we joined the Common Market it has got too big for its boots and evolved into a would be federation with the EU parliament seeking to have supreme authority over all member countries with its own army eventually.
Logan
Spain
Logan is male 

13-03-2018, 10:19 AM

If I may say so Swimfeeders that's a bit of glass half empty way to view the EU.

Equally alongside those negatives you write about there are as many if not more positives and advantages for the UK.

If that were not the case I doubt the UK would have remained in a political system for forty years.

It's all about perception. Unfortunately humans tend to gravitate without realising it to matters that serves our own personal sub-conscious prejudices and call it opinion.

I don't say anyone on here does that, more the general population when they are called on to make a decision at the ballot box.

Single issue referendums are a very bad way to govern in a parliamentary democracy. Issues are polarised and distorted especially by the media and ambitious politicos.

The result being the leave majority which will have such a profound impact on Britain in the future.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Logan we joined The Common Market which as the name suggest was a trading organisation and we did so in order to trade more easily also the idea being you don't go to war with those whom you trade.
It was nothing to do with 'Sovereignty', since we joined the Common Market it has got too big for its boots and evolved into a would be federation with the EU parliament seeking to have supreme authority over all member countries with its own army eventually.
Indeed. I have said repeatedly that I would be very happy for us to be a member of the EEC as was.

The EEC transmuted into a political dictatorship with a 'show' parliament that can talk but has no real power. The real decisions are made by the unelected Commission.

As SF has said, the EU is run for the benefit of France and Germany and poorer countries, including Spain, are now in a situation where they would find it economically difficult to leave the EU.

Far be it from me to make accusations, but aren't British expats living in Spain becoming concerned about the fall in the value of their pensions compared to the cost of living?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 05:26 PM

If I may say so Swimfeeders that's a bit of glass half empty way to view the EU.

Equally alongside those negatives you write about there are as many if not more positives and advantages for the UK.

If that were not the case I doubt the UK would have remained in a political system for forty years.

It's all about perception. Unfortunately humans tend to gravitate without realising it to matters that serves our own personal sub-conscious prejudices and call it opinion.

I don't say anyone on here does that, more the general population when they are called on to make a decision at the ballot box.

Single issue referendums are a very bad way to govern in a parliamentary democracy. Issues are polarised and distorted especially by the media and ambitious politicos.

The result being the leave majority which will have such a profound impact on Britain in the future.
Hi

Switzerland is a very successful Democracy with many referendums.

It is the will of the people,not of the Elite.

I have no problem with the Single Market or Free Movement.

I have every problem with dictatorship by the few.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The problem is that the EU is dictating to some and not others.

Both France and Germany have not been complying with the rules of the EURO, Germany has a surplus, France a deficit.

Luxembourg is the biggest Tax Haven in the EU, yet Juncker is chasing Ireland, not his own Country.

Merkel invited the influx of Economic Migrants without any consultation and then insisted other EU Countries take them.

That is not a system I want any part of.
I agree entirely Swims.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Exactly Meg,

This is not what we joined originally. It has stealthily morphed into what it is now over many years.
I had no issues with the Common Market, as you say, just a way of making trading easier with less red tape.

Page 4 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top