Join for free
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 06:05 PM

Re: Should we ban cat ownership.

[/QUOTE]

Following on from Linda's post I feel it my duty to issue this warning, once again ...

Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 06:11 PM

venator
London
venator is male  venator has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Personally I have no interest in all this rubbish regarding cats, you need to own one to know anything about them. I have 5 cats living at my farmhouse, but they are well fed and cared for. They never go off my land and I am willing to bet that I have 10 times the number of happy healthy birds, visiting my garden on a daily basis, than you do.
Two of my cats occasionally kill a mouse or a rat... but if they didn't the place could get overrun with them. Or do you prefer to give them a slow painful death with non reliable mouse traps, when they get in your house?
They do catch baby rabbits and bring them home alive, so I take them back down the field ... but not nearly as many as the farmer pays his men to shoot.
If you are all so worried about killing animals.. I wonder how many of you are vegetarian? After all those who eat meat are probably responsible for the death of considerably more animals, than my cats would ever catch.... and there is no escape for those animals!
My cats are kept in at night... so they also don't catch anything then
You know nothing about my garden so how you somehow assume that you have 10 times as many healthy birds as I do is a bit of a mystery.

I'll accept the vermin issue in some circumstances but not everywhere is going to get overrun with vermin if there is no feline presence.

I have owned a cat in the past and there is one in my household now and I've witnessed the carnage. Having to kill a sparrow because the cat decided it was a plaything is no pleasant task.

I applaud your diligence in keeping animals indoors at night but by your own admission your cat brings rabbits home. Am sure that being picked up by a creature with sharp teeth and transported to an alien environment is not exactly humane.

As for the vegetarian angle - fair point but the existence of meat eating humans does not somehow justify cat ownership.
venator
London
venator is male  venator has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
How many children have been mauled and disfigured or even killed by dangerous dogs?
How many postmen/women have been attacked by unruly dogs?
How many times have you walked into your house with the evil smell of dog poo plastered around your shoe?
How many times have you been kept awake by the incessant barking of some hound left outside in the garden?

These incidents outnumber cat incidents by a thousand to one!

The population of dogs outnumber the population of cats by a thousand to one. Some dogs as large as a small donkey, with some households containing two three and four animals.
A dog consumes three times as much food as a cat. So that puts the austerity angle out the window. There are families on benefits but still manage to feed a large dog....

I think you have got this the wrong way round Venator!
Does this mean I can't discuss a problem just because there's another apparently greater one?
venator
London

30-05-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Venator, Banning cat ownership. How would you do it?
What would you do with all the cats you rounded up? What would you do with all the owners that refused to hand over their cats?
What would you do with all the surplus catfood and cat accessories held in shops, warehouses and catfood factories?
You haven't really thought this through, have you?
I didn't say I had a solution. I was discussing the morality of the situation. One can do that without already having a solution to hand.
venator
London

30-05-2017, 05:21 PM

Oh yea, I see it said Estimated
so in other words we haven't got a clue.....How many of those birds were taken down with a vehicle? While I'm out running in the country I see scores of birds, rabbits, Squirrels and other fluffy animals laying dead in the gutter including cats. Rarely any dogs unfortunately....
I'm sure they [the RSPB as it happens] do have a clue. Even if, however, it's an overestimate by a factor of ten then it's still a problem.
aliveandsmiling
Suffolk uk
aliveandsmiling is female 

07-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Love it Rachel!
Made me laugh so much my cat ran!!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by venator ->
Does this mean I can't discuss a problem just because there's another apparently greater one?
No Venator, it means you have a personal vendetta against cat ownership. Why not change it to Pet ownership, or are you biased?

There is no difference between cat or dog ownership really, we all love our animals as if they were part of the family. Except Tara!.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 12:03 PM

No Venator, it means you have a personal vendetta against cat ownership. Why not change it to Pet ownership, or are you biased?

There is no difference between cat or dog ownership really, we all love our animals as if they were part of the family. Except Tara!.....
Foxy I think Venator is either badly informed or maybe a bit too bigoted against cats!
In days gone by, when most cats were strays,they had to kill for food. They were frequently not neutered so reproduced at quite a good rate, because they thrived in a country that had a huge number of rats and mice.... catching birds wasn't so easy when they were hungry.
When people adopted cats as a pet, they often had them neutered ( especially the females) to prevent unwanted kittens. They were also fed, so the need to hunt became less, although the cat still retained it's hunting instinct in order to survive should the human stop feeding them. Maybe that makes them a little more intelligent than humans... because how would we cope if all the shops disappeared?

I don't know what he knows about wildlife, but the experts believe that where there is a threat to many species of wildlife, they have evolved to produce greater numbers of young.... and often give little care to the weaker ones thereby offering the strongest a better chance to survive. It is therefore reasonable to assume that the weaker may be caught by cats, and many other creatures ( it isn't just cats that kill small wildlife ). With these thoughts in mind, I would think that all creatures who hunt are encouraging the wildlife to get stronger and nature is about "survival of the fittest".
Of course we can't be sure that Venator does come from London, he could come from another continent where the wildlife were too stupid to deal with cats Either that or he may think he is God... so has the right to decide which species live or die.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Tuts at Venator! I have a feeling he owns a dog just a feeling

All pets enrich lives, my cats can't catch a feather by the way even a leaf blowing in the wind presents a major challenge.

Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top