Join for free
Page 254 of 1676 « First < 154 204 244 252 253 254 255 256 264 304 354 754 1254 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 05:01 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Quote Gumbud.
"all of that was lost when he passed away - if only we could have collected all his thoughts and memories on a collection of DVD's for example so we could play them back in constant memory of him how comforting that would be"

It’s so sad when all that is lost forever and what was once a real live bubbly person becomes a photograph and a memory. Yes sickness and death are serious matters indeed and there’s no getting away from it, rich or poor, but I try to cross me bridges when I come to them, keep misery at arms length for as long as possible.
My dear mother had a real townie Dublin accent, she had a fantastic memory of when she was young growing up in the tenements, luckily my younger brother, who never married and was with her till the end of her life, taped a lot of her memories (unseen by her because if she knew she was on tape she’d put on her best telephone voice) before she got dementia. We all have copies of the tapes and when I play mine back Phyllis and me have a great laugh, my mother was a very good humoured woman and knew how to spin a funny yarn, God rest her soul.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 05:12 PM

nice one Jem!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Yer see Jem, us dabbling oldies will be preserved digitally, for as long as it lasts, but perish the thought, some spotty faced upstart, with an IT degree, could change our input, and thus our personalities, posthumously.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 09:50 PM

Jem,you're sounding somewhat dour,in your last few posts,old mate.
It's not for the use,it's for the understanding,that we seek knowledge,bruv.
Yes,I'm the nerd with the degrees,yes,I'm boring,with few friends and 3,000 books in my library,plus many more here in my home for reference reasons,plus many novels,all of which will be read and passed onto charity shops. No,I give not one hoot what people think of me-I learned many moons ago whilst still in uniform that what one person thinks is invaluable,the next person doesn't give a ferk about. I'd suppose I AM that 'knowledge for knowledge's sake' tiresome bore of which you speak so eloquently. Yes,any knowledge I attain,any discoveries I make...even any radical theories I devise,will be as snowflakes on a bonfire once I peg it.
But-to me,in MY life,that fascination with "What if" or "Why does"-or even "Just suppose for a moment..." is the axis around which I rotate.
I'm fully aware that most of the comments I get on this site are derogatory....or scathing....but,fukkem. YOU know more about jewels and gold than the rest of this site combined-YOU could make a gold ring,set with a beautifully cut emerald,in your shed....the rest of us MIGHT get a shelf up straight at the third attempt after hours of loudly expostulated expletives. So-what was the fascination that gave you such skills-and why did you bother,seeing as you'll leave those skills,knowledge and understanding behind,when St Peter comes calling?
I agree that much of our advanced understanding and knowledge of things like quantum physics,sub-molecular phasic transmission,and macrocosmic observations of mass-clusters & their event horizons may WELL seem pointless...but,in it's day,so did the idea of sucking a lime to ward off scurvy,or eating mould to cure infected wounds... how ridiculous-yet,stone the crows,it worked,after a little refinement and research. No,mate-we humans evolved to be inquisitive...after all,we share 99% of our dna with chimps. ook!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 09:55 PM

ps...yes,he DID know how to smile.
[but he ALWAYS wore sensible footwear]
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 10:11 PM

Jeepers Creepers, where did you get those Sneakers?
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Quote Gumbud.
"all of that was lost when he passed away - if only we could have collected all his thoughts and memories on a collection of DVD's for example so we could play them back in constant memory of him how comforting that would be"

It’s so sad when all that is lost forever and what was once a real live bubbly person becomes a photograph and a memory. Yes sickness and death are serious matters indeed and there’s no getting away from it, rich or poor, but I try to cross me bridges when I come to them, keep misery at arms length for as long as possible.
My dear mother had a real townie Dublin accent, she had a fantastic memory of when she was young growing up in the tenements, luckily my younger brother, who never married and was with her till the end of her life, taped a lot of her memories (unseen by her because if she knew she was on tape she’d put on her best telephone voice) before she got dementia. We all have copies of the tapes and when I play mine back Phyllis and me have a great laugh, my mother was a very good humoured woman and knew how to spin a funny yarn, God rest her soul.
Jem, dear boy. What a wonderful legacy passed on to you.

My dad had a very detailed recall of events spanning his 80 years.

Did I write any of it down, for shame NO it has been lost.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 12:00 AM

on another site I visit there is a discussion about Celts of all thing - current research suggests that they no longer exist if they ever did well at least in Britain - just in the minds of those who think they are but cannot prove it by lineage; genomes or DNA mapping.

anyway to more serious discussions :

Paddy and Mick in a pickup truck drove into a lumberyard. Paddy walked in the office and said, "We need some four-by-twos."

The clerk said, "You mean two-by-fours, don't you?"

Paddy, "I'll go ask Mick," and went back to the truck. He returned a minute later and said, "Yeah, I meant two-by-fours."

"All right. How long do you need them?"

Paddy paused for a minute and said, "I'd better go check."

After a while, Paddy returned to the office and said, "A long time. We're gonna build a house."
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-06-2017, 06:25 AM

I went to a Builders Merchant, but did not want to build a residence with timber, but, I was to shy to ask for the material I required, and ended up stum, and shaking at the counter. The assistant was very perceptive and said, don't worry, I have seen this condition before, your are obviously "Bricking It".
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-06-2017, 11:34 AM

Dementia, is been around for ages, think back to the late 60s, early 70s, Batman had dementia, think about it, everything in the Bat Cave was labelled, although it was blatantly obvious what everything was, he must have had serious memory problems.

Page 254 of 1676 « First < 154 204 244 252 253 254 255 256 264 304 354 754 1254 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top