Join for free
Page 219 of 274 « First < 119 169 209 217 218 219 220 221 229 269 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

No.69: “Quadrophenia” by The Who (1973)
Ignoring the dreadfully gloomy sleeve, the music contained inside this great album is right up there with The Who’s top albums, in fact this is really on a par with Tommy as their finest work and the single 5:15 is just about the greatest hooligan anthem you will ever hear!
Later a very popular film (1979), this is a classic album.

Sleeve image, other images:

Videos:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 11:54 AM

Concert video:

From the film “Quadrophenia”:

Interview (Russell Harty Show 1973):

Personnel:
• John Entwistle – bass, horns, vocals
• Roger Daltrey – lead vocals
• Keith Moon – percussion, vocals
• Pete Townshend – guitars, keyboards, banjo, cello, vocals

Apologies for the lack of natter in my opening spiel on this album, I've severely run out of time. Talk later on
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 12:31 PM

I had no idea there were so many contributors on 'The war of the Worlds'. I used to listen to this album a lot but it had been recorded for me onto a cassette.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 03:02 PM

5:15 is great as are most of the tracks on Quadrophenia.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 11:36 PM

Chris Spedding on War of the Worlds.He has worked with nearly
EVERYBODY including the Wombles.
Do you remember Motorbikin ?

https://youtu.be/7Juz4W9yEYA
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I had no idea there were so many contributors on 'The war of the Worlds'. I used to listen to this album a lot but it had been recorded for me onto a cassette.
I remember distinctly when I first heard the album. I was doing my trade training at RAF Hereford where I bought the album in the town, and played it also on headphones from the double cassette. Scared me to death!

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Chris Spedding on War of the Worlds.He has worked with nearly
EVERYBODY including the Wombles.
Do you remember Motorbikin ?
Motorbikin' was a great little single wasn't it? I heard that Chris Spedding played some of the guitar parts to the Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks album as well. Wouldn't surprise me actually

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
5:15 is great as are most of the tracks on Quadrophenia.
Love 5:15 yes. I was having a few beers yesterday afternoon and looking in vain for a decent pub jukebox to play that on full blast to no avail though!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 01:57 PM

Wow Floydy, you are working hard on this thread.
It amazes me on some of the stuff posted, it is before mine and your time, oh and Dreamy. I was influenced by many in music. I then collected stuff from those eras.
Keep up the good work, I'm still learning.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-05-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Wow Floydy, you are working hard on this thread.
It amazes me on some of the stuff posted, it is before mine and your time, oh and Dreamy. I was influenced by many in music. I then collected stuff from those eras.
Keep up the good work, I'm still learning.
Hi Sweetie Pie.
Who or what is "Dreamy?"
Anyway, thanks for popping in again, it's good to know that I'm educating somebody out there new to some of these albums
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-05-2018, 07:25 PM

After a whole day painting a garden fence and gate in the glorious sunny weather and feeling pretty sunburnt I might add, followed by a well-deserved half a dozen cans of Wainwright bitter sitting on my garden swing catching more rays, we carry on.
How ironic that this album appears next…Joy Division and sunshine simply do not go together!

No.68: “Still” by Joy Division (1981*)
Betcha thought I didn’t like this ban,d huh?
*Not a compilation as such due to all tracks being unreleased at the time. Still was a double album consisting of rare outtakes, early recordings and a second disc which featured the band in a live performance.
Joy Division only had the chance to release one official album during their career together as a band (the legendary ‘Unknown Pleasures’), with a second one completed (‘Closer’) and released the week after frontman Ian Curtis’ suicide in May 1980. Factory Records released Still as it tied up some loose ends and acts as some kind of fan’s completion album, released as it was in 1981 as the remaining members were beginning their second musical outing as New Order. The second disc suffers somewhat from a rather wonky production (there are many bootlegs which are better live documents than this), but the first record features some amazing pieces of music. It makes you wonder just how famous this band could have become following ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ and the incredible ‘Atmosphere’ singles if Ian Curtis had still been alive. The completed New Order debut single ‘Ceremony’ indicates great things which were sadly not to be. There are no colour photographs of Ian Curtis and no videos for this album’s songs, though I do have some audio clips.
I find Joy Division’s music incredible, unnerving and utterly brilliant.

Sleeve image, other images:

Videos:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-05-2018, 07:26 PM

Interview with Ian Curtis:

Full album audio (side 1: studio):

Page 219 of 274 « First < 119 169 209 217 218 219 220 221 229 269 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top