Join for free
Page 8 of 40 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 05:41 PM

Re: Fire engulfs Grenfell tower block in west London

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What I find horrifying is that tenants were saying that there were no fire alarm systems working to warn them of the fire .

Talking to he who must obey, who is a Fire Safety/Fire Training Officer, the council have a duty of care to those living in all social housing with multiple occupation, and should ensure that a weekly fire test is carried out and the findings recorded in the fire log book. God help them if they did not do this.
There was some guy being interviewed on TV..an ex-firefighter with 30 years experience who is now Chairman of the Fire exec(can't remember the Government title) who said they'd been trying to get MP's to act on a coroner's report and recommendations following a tower block fire in 2009(?)
matchpoint
London
matchpoint is male 

14-06-2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You have a problem....people have died, the emergency services risked life and limb and you pick them up on this?

Who gives a flying f*** how they speak when they're saving lives?
Tpin - On this ONE occasion I couldn't agree with you more.
some people need to be lined up against the wall and humiliated.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You have a problem....people have died, the emergency services risked life and limb and you pick them up on this?

Who gives a flying f*** how they speak when they're saving lives?
Excuse me ?

PLEASE read my previous post and take in what I said.

I was certainly NOT referring to this appalling tragedy, it was a general observation and I happen to think that it does a disservice to our Firefighters, Police, Paramedics etc.

As I stated ... it was 'an aside'

I dislike this trend of dumbing-down our Country

Feel free to carry on trying to be offended
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
Wondering if it started with a tumble drier fire,there's been a lot of these in the news.My thoughts go out to all those poor people affected.It's a tragedy.
Yes rhosyn, when this recall with tumble dryers first came about, I was shocked to be informed that my trusty Hotpoint tumble dryer was one of those affected. I was told I could continue to use it as long as I cleaned the filter thoroughly after ever washload! Cheeky beggars! I always cleaned it out after every drying cycle, as well as empty the water filter. Of course, he who must obey being ultra safety conscious, insisted that I no longer use it under any circumstances.(I did without him knowing, ensuring that I continued to clean the filter every time and empty the water filter). He would kill me if he ever found out but I had to dry my washes. Slap my wrist hard.

They eventually came to collect it and replaced it with a brand new, state of the art, latest Hotpoint tumble dryer for a contribution of £99. so am happily using this now.

But going back to the question of it perhaps being a tumble dryer,,,,, Mine was situated right by the back door. No way in heaven would I have used it in a tower block flat, with all the danger involved.

Whatever the reason, it is an absolute tragedy.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:07 PM

How sad is it that anyone has to live in a tower block ?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Where I lived before, my next but one neighbours, an older couple, were in the house and smelt burning only to find their washing machine on fire. The amount of smoke damage it caused was surprising but worse than that was the shock affected them so badly mentally and physically.

Maybe this is a timely reminder to us all to check the smoke alarms in our homes and maybe any elderly neighbours we know.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:15 PM

Yes Muddy, it is sad, some people must feel so lonely and isolated. In a perfect world people would be living in terraced houses where neighbours could chat to each other over the fence. Sadly, people have to live somewhere and the majority of those that do live in tower blocks cherish their little homes and ensure that they are decorated and furnished to the highest standard. It's so tragic that they have lost their homes, their possessions and in the case of some, their lives.

Possessions can always be replaced. Your loved ones, never
One tenant being interviewed, said that he could not help his elderly neighbour on the 23rd floor as he was disabled.
I'm not ashamed to say that brought tears to my eyes thinking about him.
I feel sure we will hear much more similar horror stories this week.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:28 PM

Hi

I am quite disgusted by the attitude of some of the press.

They are intruding far too much on peoples grief.

There was a scuffle when one family where given bad news and the press became far too intrusive, right in their faces.

The police had to intervene and the press have now been moved away behind a line of police.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-06-2017, 06:30 PM

Listening to the news, it says that the Government has ordered fire safety checks on all similar tower blocks.
All I can say is that every single council had better have their paperwork and fire log books signed correctly by an independent Fire Safety Engineer under the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005, which puts the onus on the owner/occupier of buildings (in the case of council tower blocks, the local council are the owners).

Quoting he who must obey's words.

Or heads should roll !!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Possessions can always be replaced. Your loved ones, never
One tenant being interviewed, said that he could not help his elderly neighbour on the 23rd floor as he was disabled.
I'm not ashamed to say that brought tears to my eyes thinking about him.
I feel sure we will hear much more similar horror stories this week.
Me too ... the disabled guy Will they ever come to terms with the feelings of helplessness, guilt?

I gather that there were Psychotherapists to hand at one or other of the centres. That kind of sounds encouraging.

Trying not to think about the horrors too much because that doesn't do any good, however, regarding the loss of material 'stuff' ... yes household items can easily be replaced but OMG what about all the personal things?

The heirlooms, the family photographs, the jewellery, anything of sentimental value and how many of the family pets made it to safety ?

I saw on FB that pet food, carriers etc are also needed

Page 8 of 40 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top