Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 09:01 AM

How safe are dishwasher tablets ???

I have had a dishwasher for more than 30 years. Different makes and different models, and have never had a problem until a few weeks ago. Since Fairy produced their dishwasher products, I have always used them but a few weeks ago I saw that Finish Powerball tablets were on offer so thought I would give them a try.

Having inherited 5 cats I have a lot of cat dishes to wash, so I put them in my dishwasher. The cat bowls are ether porcelain pudding bowls or I have quite a few unbreakable children's dishes that seem to be a good size for cat dinners.

Three weeks ago, 3 of my cats started vomiting, sometimes 2-3 times a day. I was confused because the vet could find no problems, until I realized the they had started to vomit around the time I started to use the Finish dishwasher tablets... so I immediately want back to my Fairy ones. None of the cats have been sick since I started to use the Fairy ones

I have no proof but I believe that the Finish tablets may have left a residue on the children's style dishes, and I will now never use them again. The reason I am posting this is because some of you may use these kind of dishes for your grandchildren. If you do, please be aware of the possible problems they may have caused for my cats. Small children are often sick and I would hate to think of a child being made ill by dishwasher tablets.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 09:15 AM

Re: How safe are dishwasher tablets ???

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I have had a dishwasher for more than 30 years. Different makes and different models, and have never had a problem until a few weeks ago. Since Fairy produced their dishwasher products, I have always used them but a few weeks ago I saw that Finish Powerball tablets were on offer so thought I would give them a try.

Having inherited 5 cats I have a lot of cat dishes to wash, so I put them in my dishwasher. The cat bowls are ether porcelain pudding bowls or I have quite a few unbreakable children's dishes that seem to be a good size for cat dinners.

Three weeks ago, 3 of my cats started vomiting, sometimes 2-3 times a day. I was confused because the vet could find no problems, until I realized the they had started to vomit around the time I started to use the Finish dishwasher tablets... so I immediately want back to my Fairy ones. None of the cats have been sick since I started to use the Fairy ones

I have no proof but I believe that the Finish tablets may have left a residue on the children's style dishes, and I will now never use them again. The reason I am posting this is because some of you may use these kind of dishes for your grandchildren. If you do, please be aware of the possible problems they may have caused for my cats. Small children are often sick and I would hate to think of a child being made ill by dishwasher tablets.
Edited - must have misread.

Anyway ...

I like the spaces by the way
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Edited - must have misread.

Anyway ...

I like the spaces by the way
See I do listen to you occasionally MKJ.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Hi Twink - yes I use this kind of dish for Josh's food.

I also use Finish Powerball in my dishwasher and Josh has never been ill or sick after eating at my house - not even when I had him for a whole week.

Very strange about your cats though - I don't blame you for going back to Fairy.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
See I do listen to you occasionally MKJ.
Mr Ploppy you mean .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Not Safe, these products used to be Mild and Green.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

10-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Hi Twink - yes I use this kind of dish for Josh's food.

I also use Finish Powerball in my dishwasher and Josh has never been ill or sick after eating at my house - not even when I had him for a whole week.

Very strange about your cats though - I don't blame you for going back to Fairy.
It was just a guess Carol, but it seems to have worked with the cats! I have a few Powerball tablets left so maybe I will use them when I only have porcelain dishes to wash.
Thanks for responding though, it is good to hear that children aren't suffering.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Alas can't advise here, when I divorced my dishwasher she took her tablets with her.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 03:56 PM

I only put china in my dishwasher, don't trust it to clean plastic, not that I have much. I always rinse off mugs in clean water before I use them, as they often smell of chemicals after coming out of the dishwasher. Doesn't seem to affect plates etc, must be where they are stacked.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 04:37 PM

Same here Tiffany. I especially rinse all the drinking cups after they have been through the dishwasher. I was told on a Food and Hygiene course that dishwasher tablets are the most toxic thing in the kitchen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top