Join for free
Page 6 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Re: No Foreigners

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Oddly last time you posted like this I told people about the marvellous jobs, people tried to get them but not one managed. It was all locals only or we bring in gangs from Europe or the adverts were for show and the jobs were not quite as advertised with starting wages that brought it below nmw.

I'm not getting anyone's hopes up this time.
Hi

Really?

Just for show?

They are advertised nationally, the one I quoted is current, advertised yesterday.

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJ...3%3a00-05%3a00

Are you really saying the Government Job site is lying?

Here is another one, same company.

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJ...1%3a00-05%3a00

Your friends really must be something special if they cannot get a job.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Corbyn dangerous ? Who told you that ?

Theresa May, The Daily Mail, The Sun ?

Oh well......no bias there then.
When a political leader states that his objective is to bring down a legitimate elected government by voting against any of their proposed legislation, he's dangerous. You don't need the media to tell you that.

If it were not for the fact that he may be inclined to change the way we elct government so Labour would never be thrown out I would have said a dose of Labour might be good for this country. At least it would make sure a new generation would learn the lesson
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If that was the case, why does Labour not want to control Immigration?
Because Labour, despite Corbyn's apparent radicalism, is at heart a party dedicated to neoliberal economics just as much as the Tories. They are also in thrall to the ultraliberal philosophy that diversity is a laudible aim and that the more immigration, the better (and of course, the cynical hope that immigrants who see the Labour Party as their champions will vote labour and replace the working class votes they have lost.)

As Andrew Neather, speechwriter for Blair wrote,

The huge increases in migrants over the last decade were partly due to a politically motivated attempt by ministers to radically change the country and “rub the Right’s nose in diversity”, according to Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, Jack Straw and David Blunkett. He said Labour’s relaxation of controls was a deliberate plan to “open up the UK to mass migration” but that ministers were nervous and reluctant to discuss such a move publicly for fear it would alienate its “core working class vote”. As a result, the public argument for immigration concentrated instead on the economic benefits and need for more migrants.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 09:46 AM

Hi

Nobody should be worse off working than they would be on benefits, that I totally agree with.
Maybe we should have a system such as in the Republic of Ireland whereby when someone comes off Unemployment Benefit to take a job, what they earn in the job and what they were claiming in benefits etc is taken into consideration and the difference is paid by the Dept of Social Protection to ensure the claimant is not put into hardship.
I don't know for how long nowadays but years ago they did it for the first 6 months.
It would surely encourage more Brits here to find a job.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
When a political leader states that his objective is to bring down a legitimate elected government by voting against any of their proposed legislation, he's dangerous. You don't need the media to tell you that.

If it were not for the fact that he may be inclined to change the way we elct government so Labour would never be thrown out I would have said a dose of Labour might be good for this country. At least it would make sure a new generation would learn the lesson
I have said the same myself.

Actually, that's exactly what happens with the regular swing between Labour and Conservative.

Labour gets in: spend spend spend. The country builds up a large debt.

Conservatives get in: austerity in an attempt to reduce our debt. People don't like austerity.

Labour gets in...

and so it continues, back and forth.

Do we get anywhere?

No. Actually, we never reduce our debt overall.

Options:

1. Keep Labour in: we become like Greece, or worse.

2. Keep Conservatives in: we eventually reduce our national debt.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have said the same myself.

Actually, that's exactly what happens with the regular swing between Labour and Conservative.

Labour gets in: spend spend spend. The country builds up a large debt.

Conservatives get in: austerity in an attempt to reduce our debt. People don't like austerity.

Labour gets in...

and so it continues, back and forth.

Do we get anywhere?

No. Actually, we never reduce our debt overall.

Options:

1. Keep Labour in: we become like Greece, or worse.

2. Keep Conservatives in: we eventually reduce our national debt.
It's going to be vitally impossible for any party to reduce the debt unless they toughen up. The Conservatives came in withe the best of intentions but at the first hint of resistance from the public they backed off. It will only happen when creditors like the IMF and China start to pull the rug from under us. The IMF did it to Dennis Healy in the seventies and things began to improve after.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 10:42 AM

We do need immigration of young people. Jobs aside, we are not producing enough of our own and without immigration there will be too many oldies with no young to pay taxes. The birth rate of western countries has fallen but oldies live longer.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 10:45 AM

Hi

If you just increase wages and employment costs, the price of goods goes up, unless you increase productivity.

Productivity, with one or two notable exceptions, is our big problem.

I simply cannot agree about youngsters wanting to do all jobs, at least not around here.

This is an advert for a line worker

Pay rate of £8.42 per hour plus 15% Day Shift Allowance which equates to an annual salary of £19,385.08.
Company Pension
24 days holiday entitlement (including bank holidays and public holidays)
Formal and informal learning and development opportunities
Heavily discounted staff shop
A progressive working environment that puts its people at the heart of what it does

No formal qualifications required.

4 days on, 4 days off, loads of overtime available.

Good quality housing is cheap, so is the cost of living.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/deta...84a4cylDoX9.97

We have trouble recruiting locals for this type of work.
Swim, it sounds good on paper, but when you take 4 days on and 4 days off, how many hours is that ? Plenty of overtime ! That obviously means they aren't recruiting enough staff to cover the job.
Good Quality housing is cheap, so is the cost of living ?? Who are they trying to recruit ?
Would that mean they are advertising out of the country ?

Maybe you are not up to scratch on the schemes and fiddles the companies play on ,in the rest of the country. I can assure you people are doing 12 hour shifts, 7 days on 7 days off, but on their 7 days off they are required to do overtime. So they might end up doing 7 days on and then have to work on their 7 days off.
The young people here would do those jobs . University graduates stacking shelves in supermarkets, my own son with a degree in Philosophy cleaned toilets, he also did gardening, grass cutting for council properties. I know a teacher who cleaned the streets. Obviously, certain areas must consider themselves too good to do those jobs, but on a national basis it happens. Mums would do fruit picking throughout the summer, take their children with them . It's pure fallacy to think that we don't do those jobs. I've worked in a bank but I've also washed dishes in cafes and waited on people in restaurants. We are all capable of such jobs and don't need foreigners to do them for us.
More wages does mean higher costs, but that depends what you spend your money on. It could well affect those who eat out, and travel , because it's the lower paid sector who suffer , not those who work for the utility sector, or the councils, for example, with an already decent wage.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Swim, it sounds good on paper, but when you take 4 days on and 4 days off, how many hours is that ? Plenty of overtime ! That obviously means they aren't recruiting enough staff to cover the job.
Good Quality housing is cheap, so is the cost of living ?? Who are they trying to recruit ?
Would that mean they are advertising out of the country ?

Maybe you are not up to scratch on the schemes and fiddles the companies play on ,in the rest of the country. I can assure you people are doing 12 hour shifts, 7 days on 7 days off, but on their 7 days off they are required to do overtime. So they might end up doing 7 days on and then have to work on their 7 days off.
The young people here would do those jobs . University graduates stacking shelves in supermarkets, my own son with a degree in Philosophy cleaned toilets, he also did gardening, grass cutting for council properties. I know a teacher who cleaned the streets. Obviously, certain areas must consider themselves too good to do those jobs, but on a national basis it happens. Mums would do fruit picking throughout the summer, take their children with them . It's pure fallacy to think that we don't do those jobs. I've worked in a bank but I've also washed dishes in cafes and waited on people in restaurants. We are all capable of such jobs and don't need foreigners to do them for us.
More wages does mean higher costs, but that depends what you spend your money on. It could well affect those who eat out, and travel , because it's the lower paid sector who suffer , not those who work for the utility sector, or the councils, for example, with an already decent wage.
Hi

They are not advertising outside the UK, they advertise on the Government Jobsites.

Four on, four off is 30 hours for a five day week.

As it says you also get a company pension scheme and a permanent job.

I am obviously unaware of the schemes that you quote, we do not have then round here, not that I know of anyway.

Overtime?

Well fresh food factories work on call down from the supermarkets, they staff for the average, not the maximum, that would be stupid.

They cannot get people to travel from Stoke for these jobs, Stoke being 30 mins away by car.

You may have done these other jobs, so did I, times have changed.

I genuinely believe that people should work for a living, many do not.

If we are to lose foreign workers, that is fine, but we need to get our own working.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 08:09 PM

Actually being 'on the dole' pays much less than employment , benefits are not nearly so much as the media makes it out to be and most people would rather be in work than have every bit of their private details gone into in order to claim..You cant just take people off the dole and put them into work,you have to assess first what they are capable of doing,someone who is good manually would be no good in an office or with banking,vice versa.
I see no one answered my query on whether you benefited from European workers sometime in your life ?.

Page 6 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top