Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Is this the end ARCHIE?

Our ARCHIE is a 13 year old neutured ginger tom cat. He has had virtually no health issues in all that time.

These last 2 weeks he seems to have lost interest in life. Last week we took him to a local vet who kept him in overnight to carry out extennsive tests costing £130 (Money is not an issue though).

Nothing appears to be wrong & we came home with him with some special food.s

He hasnt ate or drank since Friday & is flat out in his basket. He doesnt seem in pain
We will be on the vet's doorstep 8AM tomorrow.

ANY ONE out there who can advise please.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Re: Is this the end ARCHIE?

I always think if I start to ask is this the time it usually is

Have you tried a favourite food ? ours used to go mad for tuna or sardines.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 03:49 PM

Thanks for that Julie.he only eats fish, wont touch meat.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 03:55 PM

Feel so sorry for you, it's so hard when they get near the end knowing just when but as I said I think asking sort of means it is.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Rj we had a cat for 14 years,,,he was healthy never anything wrong except when he had been in a fight and got a bite which turned septic....vet said he needed his teeth descaled... When he came home he was not himself...wouldn't eat we tried him with everything he liked ..but no.. He was not tempted...we took him back to the vet...thinking that he might have a sore mouth due to the teeth cleaning....he looked the inside of his eyelids which were very pale...then he felt his stomach where he found a growth...he told us they grow very quickly...we felt like we had been hit with a sledge hammer... It was so unexpected....so don't hesitate to take him back to the vet rj. I'm not trying to scare you...just better being on the safe side...
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 04:13 PM

This happened to us once :::: Is he a hunter? if so ask the vet for some round worm treatment not the normal worming tablet , we nearly lost our dear cat aged 12 to this who stopped eating for no reason at all, I spent hours syringing chicken broth down her neck to keep her alive, then out of the blue she started choaking and brought up a massive round worm, she went on to live till she was 18, if she had had the treatment It would of saved us both weeks of mysery, Good luck to you both
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Oh dear I'm so sorry. This is very difficult. What is even more difficult is that 13 by today's standards is not old in a cat. Inside cats seem to live long than outside cats i.e those that spend a lot of time outside. In my limited experience tom cats don't seem to last quite so long either.

Our 17 year old cat started having problems with her nose (of all things) and the vet kept trying this and that, and nothing worked. In the end she could only breathe through her mouth and still the vet insisted there was more that could be done. In the end we knew and against his advice we had her put to sleep. It was heart-breaking. Another elderly cat of ours also became very lethargic and the vet took one look at him, pressed his tummy and suggested we have him put to sleep because he suspected it was liver cancer.

I agree with what others have already written - if the vet hasn't already, then ask him/her to check ears, teeth, throat and abdomen. Could be something as simple as a tooth abscess.

Whatever happens this cat has had a wonderful life and hopefully more to go as well.

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Our ARCHIE is a 13 year old neutured ginger tom cat. He has had virtually no health issues in all that time.

These last 2 weeks he seems to have lost interest in life. Last week we took him to a local vet who kept him in overnight to carry out extennsive tests costing £130 (Money is not an issue though).

Nothing appears to be wrong & we came home with him with some special food.s

He hasnt ate or drank since Friday & is flat out in his basket. He doesnt seem in pain
We will be on the vet's doorstep 8AM tomorrow.

ANY ONE out there who can advise please.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 06:09 PM

R j ...keep us informed...hope you get good news...keeping my fingers crossed
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Hello RJ -sorry to hear about Archie - maybe 13 is his age limit and he's time is near now ..... Then again, it could be he's just run down at present .....
See what the vet has to say tomorrow. If it is his time, dont be too sad Robert, you have given him a good life and I'm sure he has given you great memories..... Hold on to them, always xx
As long as he doesn't suffer - thats to be cherished, to go on your way peacefully....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

15-12-2013, 07:27 PM

Thanks for all the kind comments..

ARchie looked a goner 4 hours ago, but he suddenly sat up just now & looked around. HOpe yet then

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top