Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 12:57 AM

Pets & Divorce

A little snippet from my dog magazine:

In Quebec, Canada, there is an animal shelter offering counselling to divorcing couples who feud over their pets.
Spokesperson Joan Dupier, said, "It's a serious, growing problem. people love their pets and when they divorce, want to take the pet with them. This results in court cases for visiting rights and the custody of the pet".

Hopefully it never happens, but who would keep your pets if you decided to go your separate ways?
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 07:48 AM

Re: Pets & Divorce

Oh most definitely - me! He would get visiting rights though.

It is a problem though - there's the other side to the story when couples/families separate and the poor dog or cat often ends up in a rescue centre.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A little snippet from my dog magazine:

In Quebec, Canada, there is an animal shelter offering counselling to divorcing couples who feud over their pets.
Spokesperson Joan Dupier, said, "It's a serious, growing problem. people love their pets and when they divorce, want to take the pet with them. This results in court cases for visiting rights and the custody of the pet".

Hopefully it never happens, but who would keep your pets if you decided to go your separate ways?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 08:53 AM

We always said if anything happened I would take them during the day as my work is early morning and evening or overnight and my husband would have them evenings and weekends. We have always had more than one dog at a time and one more devoted to one or other of us, Mollie cannot cope without my husband, I have taken her on holiday on my own and she pines until he arrives on the scene, and some of our dogs have been so devoted to me they wouldn't even go for a walk with my husband if I wasn't going too.

It would have to be what was best for them.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Easy peasy, we'd let the pets decide and their decision would be final.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We always said if anything happened I would take them during the day as my work is early morning and evening or overnight and my husband would have them evenings and weekends. We have always had more than one dog at a time and one more devoted to one or other of us, Mollie cannot cope without my husband, I have taken her on holiday on my own and she pines until he arrives on the scene, and some of our dogs have been so devoted to me they wouldn't even go for a walk with my husband if I wasn't going too.

It would have to be what was best for them.

I've got one like that Julie, one that won't go out the door without me.
I am already divorced, so the only worry I have is what happens to them if anything happened to me. There is no one in the family who would want them.
Sadly, I have said the one who is so attached to me to be PTS if I died, as I know she'd never settle elsewhere and I don't feel its right to leave her distressed forever. The 2 young ones, mother & daughter, my friend would have. s for the 15 year old, well I'll be lucky if she sees this year out anyway.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top