Join for free
Page 7 of 25 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 11:36 PM

Re: Holly

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Do dogs/cats get that close to foxes? I know dogs roll in the poo, but can it make them sick? We have lots of foxes in the garden but they never stick around when the dog is outside.

Maybe its the worm laden poo they believe behind that some dogs eat and roll in, and some mange is highly contageous if they have rubbed along fences, posts, gates etc. Dunno.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 11:37 PM

Several times over the years I have seen signs posted locally (by farmers?) advising dog walkers to keep their dogs on leads as the foxes have mange. We have had foxes bedding down in shrubbery on the local sports fields for years where we walk dogs, never heard of any problems with illness.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 11:38 PM

Here you go Annie:

Can a dog get mange from a fox?

The parasite causing sarcoptic mange in foxes, Sarcoptes scabiei, is a mite that can infect both foxes and domestic dogs. The disease can be fatal in foxes but can be easily treated in dogs (contact your veterinarian for advice on this). However, the chances for dogs to catch mange from foxes are pretty slim.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 11:46 PM

Thanks Mups. He only rolled in the poo one time in the park and it was so disgusting. He was so proud of himself. I guess not all foxes are carrying disease. There was a sick fox that used to come into our garden. It was quite scary because it would come closer than is usual and had no fear. Half its fur was gone, poor thing maybe it was mange. That was a few years ago thankfully. The latest fox is a young and very handsome creature. He stands proudly on the shed like a king smugly taunting the dog who is going bananas.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-12-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks Mups. He only rolled in the poo one time in the park and it was so disgusting. He was so proud of himself. I guess not all foxes are carrying disease. There was a sick fox that used to come into our garden. It was quite scary because it would come closer than is usual and had no fear. Half its fur was gone, poor thing maybe it was mange. That was a few years ago thankfully. The latest fox is a young and very handsome creature. He stands proudly on the shed like a king smugly taunting the dog who is going bananas.

I have a pretty good idea what that was then Annie.
Some have a nasty disease called Toxoplasmosis. I don't know a lot about it, but I have a feeling domestic cats can pass it in their poo. Sounds like you said, and he had a bad case of mange as well.

My friend has a fox sanctuary, that's why I know a bit about this Toxo.
She has 23 in at the moment. Then ones with 'Toxo' go exactly how you described. It affects their brain and they lose their normal senses - including fear - and seem sort of dazed almost. They will die in the wild, because they lose the ability to find food.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 12:48 AM

The disease you describe sound horrible it's sounds like the same one that cats get and is so dangerous to pregnant women and children . I didn't know foxes suffered from that. Perhaps it's natures way of ensuring only the fittest survive .
Re mange
The mange mite is carried by foxes and dogs and can go on humans too However in healthy individuals it is tolerated and this is not usually a problem However in sick animals whose resistance is low the mange mite overwhelms the animal .
For that reason mange is prevalent in street dogs in third world countries and it's generally a secondary condition , the dog has malnutrition or is ill in another way and then it's resistance is down and the mange mite prolificates .

Ps I saw a beautiful fox out walking this morning .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-12-2017, 01:10 AM

If anyone is interested, here is a link which explains about Toxo better than I can.

http://www.nfws.org.uk/toxoplasmosis...e-red-fox.html
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 07:05 AM

There is a scientist who believes it can affect the human brain too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-crazy/308873/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
There is a scientist who believes it can affect the human brain too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-crazy/308873/
Scary thoughts to start the day, Muddy. I am glad I always wear disposable gloves when dealing with litter trays!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Update Update Update

About an hour after I fed Holly, and after I'd got a sample of her poo, we braved the sleet and cold to see the vet again.

She now weighs 2.25kg (seems to have improved since Friday when the Goddard vet said she was under). She has no temperature, or fleas.

So, this is what I and the vet agreed on. Take more poo samples from tomorrow and Wednesday, and then get them in to the vet so they can send off for a comprehensive test. Continue with a bland diet, and she has now sold me five cans of wet food, so I can mix it in with the other stuff. And a course of antibiotics, to get some form of treatment started!

After today, I am now £167 lighter (and also £67 from Thursday).

When we got home she did a wee and is now napping.

I am still pleased with her generally, as she takes food happily and is drinking and weeing.

ETA. I asked for breakdowns of the two bills and was staggered to see what they charged for the 15ml pro kolin on Thursday. Over £18!!! I paid £11.99 for the 30ml elsewhere, arriving tomorrow. And been advised to continue with it. Pet Medic wanted extra for postage, but I used my Amazon Prime membership.

Page 7 of 25 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top