Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2015, 11:27 PM

Re: Back on the Patio

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Sounds a good job Paul Mups needs some building work done

Do you know Meg - I was just thinking the same!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2015, 10:55 PM

O.K, what a debacle, I wrapped this Soakaway in weed inhibitor fabric on the pretext that it would stop ingress of silt and allow water out. Wanting to cover all angles, I phoned the manufacturer of the fabric to check it was water permeable, they said it was, but check a sample to check the discharge rate. I did this after installing the Wrapped Soakaway, and no water passed through, so in effect I had installed a tank, not a drain, so I had to pierce the membrane, to let water out, this involved hammering a 15mm copper pipe through each section of the plastic matrix of the Soakaway, 256 times as it happens, take note Realspeed, this is extreme DIY.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 07:12 AM

Soakaway now concreted in, and linear drain installed above, a small section of fence to move and 8.75 Sq Mtrs more of concrete sub base to build up, and bingo, slabs can be laid. If this house is ever sold, and the new owners decide to change the patio area, I would love to see them try, they will need a JCB with Jackhammer attachment.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Today I re-started building the dwarf wall around our patio area in the same brick type as I built the Conservatory with.
Do you have a lot of trouble with dwarf's breaking into your patio? or are you trying to keep them in?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

21-04-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Do you have a lot of trouble with dwarf's breaking into your patio? or are you trying to keep them in?
Neither, I am hoping to coat them in Velcro, and throw Dwarfs at them.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

28-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Slabs are finally being laid, cut off work early today to do some of the slabs that require cutting, got the transformer out (it weighs a tonne) plugged the extension in, got my Angle Grinder and noticed the disc needed changing, got the special disc wrench onto the nut, but do you think it will move, No, I have actually bent the pins on the wrench, and have had to order another one off Ebay, what a waste of half a morning.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 04:54 PM

Those wrenches for angle grinders are not made from the best of metal Spitty, my one bent the two spikes and they broke off, I had a few flat steel rods and some heavy steel round wire so I cut two spikes off the wire, cut a rod to a good size for gripping and drilled holes of the same diameter as the wire then soldered them in to make a decent wrench, I've had it for years now.
Shame half a day was wasted for you, but I find it's alway the things you least expect that hold you up.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-06-2015, 10:40 PM

The piece de resistance, two steps were created in block Pavers, one to the French Door into the living room, and one to the French door to the Conservatory. I noticed that particularly in Asian households, the threshold step was tiled, so I thought it would be a nice touch to tile these two steps, so off I went to Topps Tiles. I needed about one square metre of tiles for both steps, so I had a figure of about £30 quid in mind, I asked what tiles were suitable for outside use, Porcelain was the answer, one metre = £59, next I asked what fixing material was needed for exterior use, cement based was the answer, £28 per bag, finally I asked, what finishing trim could withstand the elements, stainless steel, £22 per length (2 needed), so £131 quid later for two small steps, enough is enough, no more.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top