Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 11:32 AM

Re: a kind act

Originally Posted by Older git ->
When I lived in a terraced house in Leeds I would help my neighbour and he would help me. Paying never came into it. Then I moved to a big house-ask my neighbour for a bit of help and he said he would price up the job and let me know.
OG that's unbelievable! So much for loving thy neighbour!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 11:37 AM

I'm pleased to live in a village where people look after one another.

My neighbours are builders. Some time ago, I had to replace a skylight and I asked them for advice about doing it. They lent me the tools and then appeared one day with a scaffold tower. After I had fitted the new light, they took the tower and the old broken Victorian skylight away.
They refused any payment for it. Great pair of guys - they're never short of work.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 11:52 AM

I think many village people are like this George, lovely communities. I used to love village life, people look out for each other. Sadly, life on the outskirts of a town now, is very different.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I understand that we need to be wary of allowing strangers in , I had spoken to the chap by phone and text , and I suppose I did take a chance , which happily worked out well . But if you think about it , we phone a company, or look for a number in the paper , phone book or elsewhere , we take a chance with anyone who comes through the door don't we . But yes , with hindsight I did take a chance . It's so sad isn't it that we live with this fear. I remember the days when we left keys in the door or hanging on apiece of string inside the letter box . Why oh why is our world so changed ?

So true ! I wrote a poem a while back about that piece of string, where I'd let meself in - those were the days ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 12:45 PM

TBH I don't remember those days, was drummed into me from very young age lock the doors when you are inside and lock up when you go out. Always lived on edges of a town and our villages were where the troublemakers came when they were chased out of the town centre by the police.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
TBH I don't remember those days, was drummed into me from very young age lock the doors when you are inside and lock up when you go out. Always lived on edges of a town and our villages were where the troublemakers came when they were chased out of the town centre by the police.
Shame you missed it Julie - bet it sounds unbelievable but honest - everyone in the street had their key on a piece of string inside the letterbox .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 05:45 PM

We have a site called streetlife , it's local to our area. I asked on the site if someone could loan me a drill to put up curtain tie back metal hooks . A kind gent replied and said he would do it for me. After making arrangements he arrived tool box in hand , and half hour later my curtains looked great . I gave him a nice bottle of wine, he refused any payment , saying , do a good deed for someone else . I will . It makes a nicer world don't you think
What a kind man! I subscribe to Streetlife, but so far not needed anyone from it.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 10:38 PM

We had something through the letterbox recently with details of our Streetlife site, which I joined. I haven't needed anything but it seems there are some helpful folk on it.
It's a shame we have to question everyone's motive when they offer help - life never used to be like that but I would check out strangers as best I could nowadays. Can't be too careful, sad but true, unfortunately.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 05:44 AM

We have a site called streetlife , it's local to our area. I asked on the site if someone could loan me a drill to put up curtain tie back metal hooks . A kind gent replied and said he would do it for me. After making arrangements he arrived tool box in hand , and half hour later my curtains looked great . I gave him a nice bottle of wine, he refused any payment , saying , do a good deed for someone else . I will . It makes a nicer world don't you think
Tell us more about Streetlife. Sounds interesting, is it a community organisation?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Tell us more about Streetlife. Sounds interesting, is it a community organisation?
I have just discovered we have them here too here's a bit about them https://www.streetlife.com/about/

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top