Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:20 AM

Vitamins and supplements

Does anyone take any of these to supplement their health? Do you feel that they work? I take a multivitamin for women in their 50's. Can't say I notice any difference but I just feel better taking it.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:23 AM

Re: Vitamins and supplements

I don't but my hubby takes Codliver oil tabs, one a day.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Marj I've thought of taking something like that to see if it helps my dodgy knee.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:31 AM

I take Glucosamine & Chondroitin, one a day, for my back problems.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

20-06-2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I take Glucosamine & Chondroitin, one a day, for my back problems.
Do you feel it helps, Mags?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Sheila takes a multi-vitamin tablet daily and she's as fit as a flea and twice as jumpy !
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

20-06-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Sheila takes a multi-vitamin tablet daily and she's as fit as a flea and twice as jumpy !
Alan, you and Sheila both look great!
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Marj I've thought of taking something like that to see if it helps my dodgy knee.
Hubby says it oils his bones

I took Glucosamine for years for a dodgy knee and then stopped, I never noticed any difference at all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 02:30 PM

I think, like most things, you get what you pay for.

I send off for stuff because I can't get the same quality in the shops here.
I have a multi vitamin/mineral for older people, and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement made from green lipped mussels (from Lintbells).
If I have been on antibiotics for anything, I always start on a course of probiotics to put any 'good bugs' back that the antibiotics have wiped out.
Oh yes, I also swig a good quality Aloe juice daily. I only buy this if it has the International Aloe Science Council stamp, as this guarantees it has been tested for purity and content. (Many cheaper products don't have this seal and are watered down or full of other additives).

I have wondered if these things are worthwhile or not, so recently stopped taking the glucosomine, but within a week or two I felt a lot of aches and pains coming back. So I made my own mind up on what suits me best.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 04:50 PM

I take Co-Enzyme Q10 daily as I have to take Statins but I occasionally take Vitamin A during the Winter to counteract SAD and Vitamin E on a run-up to my holiday, particularly if I am going overseas.

Other than that I will eat certain foods if I feel I'm in need of a boost.
I don't know why but for some reason I get a craving for something in particular that is rich in this or that so I do tend to react to that.

In 1977 I met and got talking to a Buddhist monk in Thailand when I decided to go there for a break from Saudi Arabia and one of the things we talked about, other than Buddhism, was food and what's good for you.

I spent 5 hours with him at a temple and it was one of the most memorable things that I ever did.

He said my body would guide me to what I needed and I've interpreted that to these cravings.

Whether this is right or wrong I don't know but I feel happier following this "regime".

Before this, and during the time that I was in Thailand I stayed in a typical long house - they're village huts on stilts out in the countryside, usually very remote.

I wanted to meet the real Thais and these people lived mostly on what they grew, hunted or traded.
That too was memorable and I left them three days later feeling I should stay.

The really odd thing is that a few years back, my daughter went back-packing in Thailand and when she came back she talked about a large valley with a brown river running through it.

She showed me photos and I recognised it as the same area but a cigarette Factory and Palm Plantations had replaced the jungle and no villages survived. stevmk2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top