Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:40 PM

A whistling radiator

I've had a gas man working here today, fitting some new radiator valves.

When the heating came on at tea time, Inlticed one of the kitchen radiators was making a horrible high pitched whistling sound, a bit like the old kettles that whistled when they were coming to the boil, but not as loud as that.

It perhaps wouldn't bother some people, but my ears (and nose) are very good, and this noise bothers me, it seems to get right down in my ears. It didn't do it before today, so presumably its something to do with the new valve.

Any ideas what could cause it, and can it be stopped, because it will drive me nuts if it carries on.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:57 PM

Re: A whistling radiator

It'd annoy me too ... if only because I'd be wondering if the valve had been incorrectly fitted or sealed or whatever it is these handsome hunks do who come and fiddle with our central heating.

I'd be tempted to call him back (er, at no extra cost)... as he's only just done the work.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 11:29 PM

Mups it sounds like trapped air , are they the kind of radiators you bleed with a key.

Didn't the engineer test them. I would ring the engineer tomorrow and get him to come back and adjust it for you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 11:48 PM

Thanks Morty & Meg.

Yes Meg, they are bled with a key. He went round everywhere twice letting the air out, too.
It's only that one in the kitchen whistling, but its right by my chair and its really annoying.
I think I will do as you suggest, and call him tomorrow.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 12:24 AM

Get him back as soon as you can, and he is not an engineer he is a plumber, not a very good one by the sound of it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 08:40 AM

My helpful suggestion is. Make sure all home insurance is up to date, can of petrol and a match. Get a cave.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Make a record of it and post on youtube. It might make number 1 in the hit parade
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Would certainly irritate me, wot with my tinnitus already.

Hope you get it silenced.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 11:10 AM

I doubt if it's trapped air, though bleeding the radiators after any work is a good idea. I'd be more inclined to suspect a noisy valve . Just turn the valve slightly and see if it maks any difference.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Make a record of it and post on youtube. It might make number 1 in the hit parade

Fat lot of help you and Nom are!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top