Join for free
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 09:53 AM

Savings interest tax changes

Does anyone know how these changes will affect joint savings accounts where two people will be sharing the interest ...I have checked everywhere online and been unable to find anything about it anywhere
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 09:57 AM

Re: Savings interest tax changes

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Does anyone know how these changes will affect joint savings accounts where two people will be sharing the interest ...I have checked everywhere online and been unable to find anything about it anywhere
So it looks like no one knows...where's Realist when you need him ?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 11:43 AM

So it looks like no one knows...where's Realist when you need him ?
Perhaps he is on the picket line outside his local hospital.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Or perhaps he needs more than 4 minutes to answer.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 11:56 AM

As tax pertains to the individual rather than the income source, I would assume half the interest would be allotted to each party and taxed independently as per the present system. That is the case on our current joint savings account, and has been for as long as we have had one.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

09-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
As tax pertains to the individual rather than the income source, I would assume half the interest would be allotted to each party and taxed independently as per the present system. That is the case on our current joint savings account, and has been for as long as we have had one.
Thanks Barry, I would also assume something like that, but am surprised that I cannot find any information anywhere about what is being considered
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 12:07 PM

Thanks Barry, I would also assume something like that, but am surprised that I cannot find any information anywhere about what is being considered
If you are both taxpayers and the interest is taxed at source then I reckon nothing much should change. Best check with your bank perhaps.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top