Join for free
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 12:24 PM

HMRC screw up!

Our eldest daughter has very kindly attended to my husband's income tax since his illness in 2006. I am mathematically challenged, and have never filled in a tax form in my life.

She did his self-assessment form online as usual last year and had confirmation back from the taxman that they owed my husband about £800. The confirmation form was printed out and supposedly filed, my job!

You can imagine how shocked we were to get a letter from HMRC during this week claiming the income tax form for last year hadn't been filed, and demanding £100 as a starter fine! We looked for the confirmation form but couldn't find it, even though we knew it had been printed out! I then checked the bank account into which the money the tax man owed us should have been paid, only to discover it hadn't been forthcoming! Without evidence we couldn't appeal, which is very annoying. We have had to pay the £100fine and re-file the tax form, even though we know for a fact HMRC has screwed up! As you can imagine we are taking particular care to keep the confirmation form safe, this time.

Anyone else been a victim of an HMRC screw up, which appears to be quite common?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 01:51 PM

Re: HMRC screw up!

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Our eldest daughter has very kindly attended to my husband's income tax since his illness in 2006. I am mathematically challenged, and have never filled in a tax form in my life.

She did his self-assessment form online as usual last year and had confirmation back from the taxman that they owed my husband about £800. The confirmation form was printed out and supposedly filed, my job!

You can imagine how shocked we were to get a letter from HMRC during this week claiming the income tax form for last year hadn't been filed, and demanding £100 as a starter fine! We looked for the confirmation form but couldn't find it, even though we knew it had been printed out! I then checked the bank account into which the money the tax man owed us should have been paid, only to discover it hadn't been forthcoming! Without evidence we couldn't appeal, which is very annoying. We have had to pay the £100fine and re-file the tax form, even though we know for a fact HMRC has screwed up! As you can imagine we are taking particular care to keep the confirmation form safe, this time.

Anyone else been a victim of an HMRC screw up, which appears to be quite common?
Hi

Blame transference.

You lost the form, so both you and HMRC messed up.

Live with it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Don't they keep a copy of correspondence at their end ? I would imagine they could find one if they wanted to.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Blame transference.

Live with it.
I agree I shouldn't have lost the conformation e-mail, and I should have checked the bank account more thoroughly to see if the money had been paid in. However, it still doesn't excuse the mess HMRC are in according to the news!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 07:57 PM

I keep a file in which I keep all things related to income and tax. I keep them for 6 years after which I throw them.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Blame transference.

Live with it.
Sorry but have to agree with that.

If you are on self assessment you should and have to keep your records for 6 years.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

12-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I keep a file in which I keep all things related to income and tax. I keep them for 6 years after which I throw them.
We keep ours for seven years! I have screwed up by inadvertently mislaying or destroying the documentation!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 12:34 PM

yes we are in the process of dealing with the HMRC via our accountants. We paid our personal/capital gain taxes when we sold our business. Now these idiots are saying they can't match up the papers with the joint partnership form as they don't have it (or lost it) so we have been find £100 each (paid) ,now waiting to hear from appeal via the accountants. The accountant dealt with all this. That is just part of the fine, we can still be find per day not sorted after so many days then be taken to court. We have never even not paid what we owned so hopefully the accountant will sort it out and we get our £200 back
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote from email received 7th January 2016:
"We are also sending reminder emails to unrepresented Self-Assessment customers over the coming days. Like last year, the emails are being sent instead of paper reminders, but we made a change this year as a direct result of agent feedback: all customers who submitted their return by the end of December were given the option of receiving a paper statement and payslip. Those who file after this date will need to choose one of our other payment options explained on gov.uk. [ https://www.gov.uk/pay-self-assessme...-bill/overview ]

Another important change to Self Assessment this year has been the introduction of the online Personal Tax Account, and unrepresented, non-business SA customers are able to access theirs when they log in to complete their SA return. The Your Tax Account of course remains in place for SA customers that are self employed or pay business taxes. There's more information on these digital accounts on gov.uk [ https://www.gov.uk/government/news/w...elf-assessment ] and we’re currently working on making this service available for agents to use by next year."

So.................your husband should have his own personal tax account which he should be able to access online. In addition, if you've deleted an email from HMRC you should still be able to retrieve it from your trash. When your daughter submitted your husband's tax return online, she must have done so from his paperwork - no copies of that? You would also have received a confirm email that the submission was received and confirmation that a tax refund was due would have been by post, not email....at about the time the refund was given into his bank.........it was HIS bank account the refund was due to be given????

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top