Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 12:11 PM

Re: Anyone from East Yorkshire?

There is a lovely Maritime Museum in Hull - now the richer for two oil paintings left to them by one of my Uncles (by marriage) - one of which is a sailing ship and the other a portrait of the ship's Master. My uncle was born in Hornsea but had many family connections with Hull and the sea.

The ship in the painting was involved in a dramatic rescue at Daedalus Lighthouse in the Red Sea - and we had a copy of the Master's handwritten report to the ship owners of the event. The Museum were thrilled to receive them.

It is quite an exciting story!

Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 03:53 PM

What a City! We do our best to keep it all quiet: let those who know nowt carry on thinking as they do. I'm a bit sorry about the City of Culture thingy, as I think we'll be overwhelmed with outsiders, even possibly some Lancastrians! And I'll bet the come back once they've been here. I'm petitioning for a wall across the Pennines and the Humber Bridge, where passports must be shown. The Mexicans won't have to pay for them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
What a City! We do our best to keep it all quiet: let those who know nowt carry on thinking as they do. I'm a bit sorry about the City of Culture thingy, as I think we'll be overwhelmed with outsiders, even possibly some Lancastrians! And I'll bet the come back once they've been here. I'm petitioning for a wall across the Pennines and the Humber Bridge, where passports must be shown. The Mexicans won't have to pay for them.
Now look here Emerald! My dad came from Yorkshire, my mum came from Lancashire and I come from Cheshire.... but I love Yorkshire pudding and we are having it on Christmas day with our roast beef... so I hope you will let me in.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 04:03 PM

I have only just seen this post.

I was born in Hull and lived there happily for 38 years until I married and moved away. I still have friends in the City who I meet up with regularly, sadly not in Hull we meet up somewhere between the two of us, I now live in the Midlands.

My friends speak with pride about the City of Culture next year and I am sure they will send me photos throughout the year. They have shown me a few places that we used to go to on our nights out which have now sadly been knocked down. But what great times we used to have.
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 04:05 PM

Well by 'eck. You've got me on that one, so will have to take it up with other lads and lasses more senior than me. Anyway, at least you're not having Yorkshire Puds with turkey! Can you believe the philistines all over the country who'll be sitting down on Christmas Day with Yorkshire Puds on a plate where they should not be. It's making me ill just thinking of it!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
Well by 'eck. You've got me on that one, so will have to take it up with other lads and lasses more senior than me. Anyway, at least you're not having Yorkshire Puds with turkey! Can you believe the philistines all over the country who'll be sitting down on Christmas Day with Yorkshire Puds on a plate where they should not be. It's making me ill just thinking of it!
I am sure Floydy, who started this thread, will let me in. After all, better half Yorkshire than no Yorkshire at all.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 04:18 PM

Emmm all from East Yorkshire are Makems.

Deira (Old English: Derenrice or Dere) was a kingdom (559–664 AD)[1] in Northern England that probably emerged when Anglian warriors conquered the Derwent Valley in the third quarter of the fifth century.[2] It extended from the Humber to the Tees, and from the sea to the western edge of the Vale of York.
Emerald
Yorkshire

12-12-2016, 04:40 PM

Well now hinny, thou needs a bit of a geographical lesson like.
It comes from when miners, Geordies (Newcastle) called Sunderland makems. It's also to do with football and the rivalry, but the name "Mackem" came from the mining days and is an insulting word towards people of Sunderland.
See, it takes a Tyke to sort you all out. BUT ... I do like a bit of pease pudd'n.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 04:52 PM

Was brought up in Withernsea back when they had:-

A great Railway system up up Hull & Back. (until some idiot killed it off)

The Grand Pavilion, which had huge attraction as big dance bands came & went (the somebody killed that off)
The Italian Gardens & Bowling Greens - long gone?
No need for massive stones on the beach as erosion was much less prevalent.

Large numbers of holiday Makers providing much needed business for all the inns & even the kids who wheel-barrowed visitors to the Camp Sites.

What Happened?
Emerald
Yorkshire

12-12-2016, 05:03 PM

And I was just remembering our 6 weeks school holidays spent on Ken Moon's field, where my auntie had a converted railway carriage. Brilliant.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top