Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Re: Macaroni Cheese

FFOSSE

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, it did seem to be well received and it all got eaten.
Even I had some. In fact the main reason for making up that recipe was so that I would like it as well, since the staff & residents all ate the same food

You can add herbs, worcester sauce, bacon, ham, peppers, tomatoes and so on; either in the mixture or as a topping, but then it becomes less like macaroni cheese and more like a pasta bake

I didn't think of adding Marmite, but sometimes I would add a small amount of vegetable stock
You need to be a bit careful about what you do add if you're making for a few people in case you need it to be vegetarian

If you chop the celery & onions fine enough you can make the white sauce straight on top of them in the same pan.

But you should add pre cooked pasta at the end; if you add dry pasta to the white sauce mix it will almost certainly burn, and the pasta will take much longer to soften
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 08:40 PM

I've tried lots of variations on Mac 'n Cheese, but my family insist that simple is best by far.
I just boil the macaroni until almost done, then cook a roux sauce (butter, flour, soft cheese and mature cheddar) and pour it over the pasta. Grate more cheddar over the top, sprinkle some breadcrumbs and cook in the oven until the top is brown. Serve with crusty bread and butter and HP sauce (must be HP - nothing else is acceptable).
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Yes, absolutely. Stale breadcrumbs, not too finely chopped, and a bit of melted butter poured over all, and baked in a very hot oven is the secret to getting that yummy crunchy topping.

Oh, now you've done it ! Macaroni and cheese for me tonight.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Thanks for all the tips...I'm hungry for it now and it's only breakfast time!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 10:36 AM

We use blue cheese and crispy bacon pieces in ours, and a thick layer of breadcrumbs on top is an absolute must....
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 10:38 AM

I've never made it with blue cheese, I think I'll give it a try.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 12:00 PM

I did it with blue cheese a few months ago but generally they all preferred cheddar as the Stilton made it a bit salty for us.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I did it with blue cheese a few months ago but generally they all preferred cheddar as the Stilton made it a bit salty for us.
Should have said, we add a little blue cheese as well as the cheddar just to give it more of a punch, and I agree it would be too salty if blue was used on it's own.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top