Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Re: Christmas decorations

No decorations here not one

My neighbour at the end of the village has enough for all of us with jigging reindeer, jumping Santa's and about 1,000 lights she really needs her own power station.

I don't even put Christmas cards up these days they stay in a pile on the shelf.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I love to see the lights twinkling in people"s windows.
Me too!
Thank goodness for this little ray of light in a gloomy depressing thread!

Surely even if you don't 'do' Christmas, and I quite understand that, if folk have been nice enough to send you cards, why not at least put them on a side table or mantlepiece to brighten the place up?
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 10:24 PM

You cant not have a Christmas Tree and decorate it. Remember your childhood Christmases , but of course most on here are only modern day people . I remember my childhood Christmas as though it were yesterday.
My Dad came home one night with a Tree, then we had to find a pot to put it in, we always put soil in the pot, which resulted in loads of it going over the carpet. Then into the loft for the cardboard box with the lights in and decorations . The lights never worked until dad had spent ages checking every bulb, then when the lit,OHHHH fantastic, no fancy lights in those days , . We had very few Decorations then ,and it was a tragedy if we ever broke any, We had a Robin that went on the top of the Tree for years and years Then moved the sofa out and the Tree then stood in the corner. I think it started shedding needles after the first day.
Presents went under the tree and we were not allowed to open any until we had had breakfast, except for the stocking , sock , on the end of the bed. Probably by 6am was awake and feeling for it , SANTA !! had been . I remember on a cold Christmas Eve kneeling on my bed and looking out of the window to see if I could see him, no traffic in those days after about 9pm.

I dont ever want to forget those Christmases , so still have atree with lights on and decorations. Parcels still go under the tree , but not many of them now. Bacon and Egg for Breakfast, real treat , then it was down to business, wrapping paper everywhere.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 11:29 PM

I agree with you Norway!

We had wonderful Christmases when were growing up...but I've become so aware since reading posts on here how lucky I was and how many did not have this kind of joy when they were young.

But then you'd think they'd make up for it by giving their kids and grandkids the fun of a tree and decorations etc etc.

Still, it doesn't seem always to work like that...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Decoration go up Christmas Eve here, after I get home from work, this year it will be after Nathan finishes as he's last one working that evening. So about 10pm we will be decorating, small tree about three foot, not a real one they make my husband sneeze. I usually have to mend our paraplegic Angel on the top of the tree she lost her legs in a terrible corgi accident a few years ago our late Katie got her

New ball added to the tree each year they are all either old ones we inherited or hand made, grace has been working with glitter and a wooden ball for a few days making our new decoration. Last year she made a fireman out of clay and paint.

We have fairy lights all year much to my husbands disgust I'm a bit of a fairy light fan.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No decorations here not one

My neighbour at the end of the village has enough for all of us with jigging reindeer, jumping Santa's and about 1,000 lights she really needs her own power station.

I don't even put Christmas cards up these days they stay in a pile on the shelf.
Same here Meg, no decorations nor Christmas cards up. Nor do I have in any special food, just my normal stuff. I used to do it all when I had children but not since being alone.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 11:53 AM

If I didn't do a Christmas food shop for the day I'd get lynched here Nathan loves Christmas pudding and my husbands homemade custard. Our table will be light of meat this year as we've all embraced vegetarianism but I'm hoping it will satisfy them all. Got our neighbour popping round from next door for tea as he's confessed to being alone this year and our elderly neighbour can't get up the stairs this year so Nathan and Jordan are going down to carry her up ! I think from laughter yesterday she's quite looking forward to two handsome young men man handling her up the stairs
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Same here Meg, no decorations nor Christmas cards up. Nor do I have in any special food, just my normal stuff. I used to do it all when I had children but not since being alone.
CeeCee After my son was born in 1978 we always went to stay with my family in Derbyshire for the whole of the Christmas holiday so never accumulated any Christmas decorations. Before that I didn't have a permanent house to put any in.

I don't eat Christmas dinner and anyway I refuse to queue up in the shops in the days before Christmas with a population many of whom seems to go mad emptying the shelves as if there is no tomorrow and fight over the last Brussels sprout

I am also an atheist now and don't believe in Christmas and feel celebrating it at all is rather hypocritical though I do make a few concessions to please other people.
Not in my house though, I like everything neat, tidy and minimalist with no tat and that includes decorations .

I wish people wouldn't send cards, most are from people I never see and am unlikely ever to see again , I don't give them a thought for the rest of the year and I am sure that is mutual. Having scrimped and saved all my life I hate waste and consider Christmas cards to be a waste.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Even where I was an atheist Christmas was celebrated married to who I am he'd not be happy with no Christmas at all.

I'm looking around at all my bits and pieces thinking what's minimalist ? I don't think I could get down to minimal if I was paid funny how we all like different things I need my China and plates and dolls or I don't feel at home.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 12:57 PM

Same here Meg, I too am an atheist. I have only sent half a dozen cards to distant long term friends. I cut out all of the others years ago. I used to go to my daughter's when her boys were young, but now that I have a dog as she does, and they dont get on together, I stay put here. I will go to my son's just down the road for lunch, but straight home again afterwards. My d-i-l has all of her family there and I dont have anything in common with them or know anyone they know.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top