Join for free
Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 02:02 PM

Re: Missile Strikes launched against Syria tonight

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Personally I couldn't care less what happens in the middle east
but I am concerned that the ME and Russia are two places that I would never trust, because of their backgrounds!

Both areas have lived under forced control, in the past, and I wouldn't trust either not to try and regain power by the same methods.

War is never pleasant, but it is a better option than discovering that countries, like Russia, have created a chemical weapons that could wipe out vast numbers of of lives, anywhere they choose.

I know that many educated countries have created such weapons, but if I had to put money on who is most likely to use them, Russia and the middle eat would be my first choice!
Yet even the US still hold stockpiles of chemical weapons.

I, personally, don't understand the current downer on Russia.
The US are as bad in their global warmongering over the last 50 odd years .. except theirs is in the guise of the world's policeman. Count how many conflicts they've been engaged in or tacitly backed, as with the Syrian rebels.
As to background ... We're also talking about a major global power who bombed Nagasaki and Hiroshima to end a war.
Is that better than chemical warfare?
The end justifies the means.

Conventional weapons.
Chemical weapons.
Nuclear weapons.

A dead victim of war is still a dead corpse.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Yet even the US still hold stockpiles of chemical weapons.

I, personally, don't understand the current downer on Russia.
The US are as bad in their global warmongering over the last 50 odd years .. except theirs is in the guise of the world's policeman. Count how many conflicts they've been engaged in or tacitly backed, as with the Syrian rebels.
As to background ... We're also talking about a major global power who bombed Nagasaki and Hiroshima to end a war.
Is that better than chemical warfare?
The end justifies the means.

Conventional weapons.
Chemical weapons.
Nuclear weapons.

A dead victim of war is still a dead corpse.
Well we each have different thoughts Morty. I am no fan of USA politics and agree that they are always too ready to go to war, but I don't want chemical warfare to be used, and with the harsh attitudes of Russia and the Milddle East , on the value of life... they will have no problem using it!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 02:39 PM

Hi

Do we all remember Shock and Awe, the invasion of Iraq?

Cruise missiles all over the place, not a one shot down?

Times have moved on, Russia is claiming the Syrians shot down 71 of the 103 cruise missiles launched.

The independent UK based Syrian Observatory, which is not pro Assad, has said it was 65 shot down.

A loss rate of 2 thirds is not good news for the West as they were shot down by the Syrians, the Russians did not use their anti missile systems.

We are no longer as invulnerable as we think.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well we each have different thoughts Morty. I am no fan of USA politics and agree that they are always too ready to go to war, but I don't want chemical warfare to be used, and with the harsh attitudes of Russia and the Milddle East , on the value of life... they will have no problem using it!
You didn't see my post about Agent Orange did you

The US, Russia .. they both wear the opposing sides of the same face.
War, and protecting their own interests in the ME.
It suits Russia to back Assad.
It suits the US to back the rebels to destabilise Syria, and by dint of association Iran. Both countries Shiite.

Incidentally, this morning the Syrian rebels expressed disappointment as they'd really wanted Assad's conventional weaponry curbed .... they don't give a stuff about the distinction of a moral lesson over alleged chemicals usage.

They've related this 'moral lesson' in terms of any tactical advantage it might have given them in the larger issue of the Civil War. They're disappointed.

Question: Would you prefer a more stable post-war Syria with Assad as victor , at least nominally in charge until politicians and diplomacy can help negotiate a lasting peace there?

Or ... Assad taken out. Regime change. A massive country left up for grabs and ripe for infiltration by various warring rebel factions allowing another breeding ground for extremists like Isis? Remember Libya and Iraq as sobering lessons of 'what not to do'.

Which offers a better future for Syria?
And just how much Western manipulation should be allowed so we can craft a ME that suits us?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Hi

May is up for a grilling in Parliament this week.

Cameron asked Parliament for permission in 2013 and got turned down, this time May bypassed Parliament.

Corbyn is demanding explanations and a debate and could well go for a vote on May's actions.

According to one Poll, only 22% of the Public support her airstrike.

It will be interesting next week.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 03:47 PM

Very disturbing news, indeed! Stupid, dangerous, short sighted, unethical, illegal. These are some words I use to describe what happened last night! Trump campaigned on a non interventionist platform. He has broken his promise to his people. I also blame Bolton The Walrus and the other war mongering Neocons.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 04:40 PM

It's illegal to decapitate people and crucify them and drop chemical bombs on them but people do it all the same .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 05:50 PM

I just don't get these dictator types!
You would think that being the leader of a country, they'd want that country to be the best in the World, somewhere the people could be proud of and happy to live in.
Instead they destroy it.
What on Earth do they gain apart from a deserted pile of rubble?
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

May is up for a grilling in Parliament this week.

Cameron asked Parliament for permission in 2013 and got turned down, this time May bypassed Parliament.

Corbyn is demanding explanations and a debate and could well go for a vote on May's actions.

According to one Poll, only 22% of the Public support her airstrike.

It will be interesting next week.

Thank God for decisive leadership.

Corbyn et al will posture and prevaricate but they are NOT the Gov't.......OUR Gov't!

Polls are meaningless as has been proven countless times and only a moron would base their strategy on polls.

Russia could have engaged Allied forces but chose not to........Tells you everything you need to know.

Thank you Mr Assad. You gave us a gold plated opportunity to push back against Russia.

Well done Macron, May and Trump for being up to the challenge.

Corbyn et al need to decide who they support....Western Democracy or Totalitarian murdering dictatorships masquerading as democracies......

You need to decide who you support!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 07:09 PM

So much scaremongering on this thread... it will blow over soon, it always does!

Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top