Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy

I saw the film of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" recently, really enjoyed it and was stimulated to read the book. I've just finished all three books in the series and have to say that I was blown away. They were genuinely "unputdownable" and I read all three books in a week. It is amazing to think that Larsson wrote the books as a sort of hobby and they weren't published till after his early death.
The books mirror many details of his own life, which seems to have been as varied and exciting as his plots. Such a great pity that he died at the early age of 50 - having discovered his books, I am now hungry for more, but unfortunately that won't happen..............

Mick
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Re: Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy

I bought the triology a long time ago and thorougly enjoyed them too.
Unputdownable (horrible word) but so true.
I read that there is a fourth book in that series..which he intended to be 10 books...Larsson was writing with his partner Eva but it is all hung up by legal disputes between Stieg's father and brother - Stieg didn't leave a will and under Swedish law his father and brother inherited everything.
Apparently "That Girl Started Her Own Country", written by the "Holy Ghost Writer" is supposed to be equally good but I haven't bought it yet - I've got so many books waiting to be read (lent, presents and bought by me) but I'm tempted to buy it anyway
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2013, 12:40 AM

I've seen the film and read the books a few years ago as we are both fans of Scandinavian crime writing. Even though Larsson won't write any more books (I think there are only notes of the 4th one) there are many, many equally good, if not better, Scandinavian crime and thriller writers.

Why not have a look for Henning Mankell (Wallander), Jo Nesbo, Camilla Lackberg, Ake Edmundson, Hakan Nesser, Anne Holt, Johan Theorin - just to name a few. They are all terrific. Probably find them all in the library or charity shops.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2013, 11:14 AM

Blimey Jean, my book and authors list is getting longer and longer
Thanks for the info.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Have not read the books, have not watch the Daniel C film.

2 Christmas ago watched the Origanal GWTDT thought was a fair film but run of the mill nice ending and good acting nothing to write home about.

About 4 months later watched the next two TGWPWF and TGWKTHN These concentrated more on Lisbeth and where
brill.

Do reccomend that you buy the Swedish version of the Trilogy of Millennium.

Loved the scene where the Doc had dismissed her account of her rape a result of her twisted mind , then she showed the Court the video she had made of the rape, she gave just a fliker of a smile as his face fell.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2013, 09:47 PM

I really enjoyed the film "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Mick, so did the wife.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2013, 11:53 PM

I thought the Swedish film versions were far better than the American ones, much truer to the book and the characters. For me the Swedish actor who played Mikael was exactly as I'd imagined him to be.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I thought the Swedish film versions were far better than the American ones, much truer to the book and the characters. For me the Swedish actor who played Mikael was exactly as I'd imagined him to be.
I absolutely agree.

BTW if you do watch the Swedish films DON'T get the dubbed version it is truly awful, get the one with English sub titles. I didn't know there was a dubbed version until I went to the UK a couple of years ago where my brother had one. The almost expressionless dubbing completely lost the mood of the film.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2013, 11:59 AM

I'm not familiar with this author.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania

29-01-2013, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->

I'm not familiar with this author.
Gosh, RJ, you must lead a sheltered life!! You may have heard the titles of the books and not the author.

The media hype was huge because of his tragic early death. He wrote the Millennium Trilogy: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; The Girl Who Played with Fire; and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest in the early 2000s and they were first published in Sweden then in Britain in 2005/6/7 and sold millions. They have all been made into films both in Sweden and the US. He was also a controversial journalist in Sweden.

He died of a heart attack in 2004 at the age of 50, leaving behind part of another book and notes on several more. Plenty more on the internet about him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top