Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 10:59 PM

Re: Rant!

That must have been an awful day for you Mick.
The poor animal, didn't deserve to have such despicable owners.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 01:01 AM

Sounds plausible, and no-doubt is in some cases, but in lots of cases a lack of money will undoubtably lead to poor care for an animal. When you look at who has a dog or cat they can be well down the tree for receiving any monies - families with a few children especially; why do they lumber themselves with an animal or animals on top of the commitments they already have?

Financial levies imposed one way or another curbs excesses very quickly and it seems to me that the fact that it is so expensive to own an animal is a good thing, and should cut down on the number of owners / pets. Nowadays if you can afford to keep an animal in the proper manner there is a good chance you think about more than just it's diet and medical requirements but it's behaviour too. Time for responsible owners to step forward.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Sounds plausible, and no-doubt is in some cases, but in lots of cases a lack of money will undoubtably lead to poor care for an animal. When you look at who has a dog or cat they can be well down the tree for receiving any monies - families with a few children especially; why do they lumber themselves with an animal or animals on top of the commitments they already have?

Financial levies imposed one way or another curbs excesses very quickly and it seems to me that the fact that it is so expensive to own an animal is a good thing, and should cut down on the number of owners / pets. Nowadays if you can afford to keep an animal in the proper manner there is a good chance you think about more than just it's diet and medical requirements but it's behaviour too. Time for responsible owners to step forward.

Animal lovers don't consider caring for their four legged friends as "being lumbered" with them Mark.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Animal lovers don't consider caring for their four legged friends as "being lumbered" with them Mark.
When money becomes an overriding concern 'lumbering' is a pretty soft term to apply. Maybe I am out of touch but there are times in my life when I have had hardly 2 pennies to rub together, and some times when I have had to cut back on animal care. Not proud of the fact but IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE to look after an animal properly. Pretty sure many don't realise this and many animals suffer hugely for it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Well I can only speak personally but when we get to a point we couldn't afford to care for ours they would be rehomed, but I have been a position where we bought a sack of potatoes and ate those for a month because we were pretty badly off and we stopped using the car and walked everywhere, dogs still had their food though we made sure they didn't go without.

Even now my husband laughs when I put his meal in front of him (the value sausages usually raise the smile) and then put down the dog's food poached chicken breast vegetables and rice
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 12:30 PM

I think people who really love and care about their pets would go without themselves to ensure their pets were properly taken care of, I know for sure that we would. However I do agree that there are very many people, who I will refer to as irresponsible and unfit to own any kind of pet, whether they can afford to take proper care of them or not. The justice system is an absolute joke when it comes to sentencing for animal abuse and cruelty, a total and utter waste of time in my opinion. I don't know what the answer is but unless laws change regarding ownership of pets and abuse and cruelty of pets, then I can only see things getting worse.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
When money becomes an overriding concern 'lumbering' is a pretty soft term to apply. Maybe I am out of touch but there are times in my life when I have had hardly 2 pennies to rub together, and some times when I have had to cut back on animal care. Not proud of the fact but IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE to look after an animal properly. Pretty sure many don't realise this and many animals suffer hugely for it.

Aint arguing - just saying B****cks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-01-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I think people who really love and care about their pets would go without themselves to ensure their pets were properly taken care of, I know for sure that we would. However I do agree that there are very many people, who I will refer to as irresponsible and unfit to own any kind of pet, whether they can afford to take proper care of them or not. The justice system is an absolute joke when it comes to sentencing for animal abuse and cruelty, a total and utter waste of time in my opinion. I don't know what the answer is but unless laws change regarding ownership of pets and abuse and cruelty of pets, then I can only see things getting worse.

More or less what I said on previous page Clumsy & Jule.
The particular case MickB opened with had nothing to do with funding IMO. It was sheer callousness, neglect and laziness that stopped that dog getting help. Like I also said too, I dearly wish he hadn't died not knowing love.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Absolutely agree.

Aint arguing - just saying B****cks.
Thanks for saying that, Mups!

More or less what I said on previous page Clumsy & Jule.
The particular case MickB opened with had nothing to do with funding IMO. It was sheer callousness, neglect and laziness that stopped that dog getting help. Like I also said too, I dearly wish he hadn't died not knowing love.
It certainly seems to be the case. I simply cannot comprehend how people can have a pet and abuse it like that.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

We don't have any pets at all now, simply because we couldn't stand the heartache of losing them any more but also if they got ill or needed expensive care.

It's a commitment you undertake, or should consider it a such and really, neglecting any animal to that extent is a betrayal of the trust that that animal put in its owners.

Treating another species of animal in such a way is disgraceful, especially as we are actually an advanced, supposedly-intelligent species of animals ourselves.

It's despicable.

Did anyone see that programme with Dolphins the other day?
Fascinating.

They still look after their own in ways we seem to be forgetting; can you think of any situation these days when you could count 100% on friends, relatives and neighbours to help protect your child when there's an obvious threat?

The individual members of Dolphins Pods do! stevmk2

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top