Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 12:44 AM

Re: Rant!

I agree Steve. We could learn a lot from animal behaviour if we didn't think we were so damn superior all the time.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:20 AM

I was about to agree with you Mups then I looked round the room at Mollie chewing her foot and Betty eating the label off her blanket. Not sure I want to learn either of those skills
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I was about to agree with you Mups then I looked round the room at Mollie chewing her foot and Betty eating the label off her blanket. Not sure I want to learn either of those skills

One thing that me and my husband agree on is that we will do without before we change our beloved Samantha's eating habits. (Cat) She has been there for us when we have been poorly and given us lots of love and made us feel better. Abigail was the same before she passed away in November 2012, still miss her.

Our eating habits have changed over the last year we have started buying less food and stopped being so fussy but make sure that Samantha still gets her treats.

Breaks my heart to think of people mis treating their pets and there are many out there that do not deserve animals.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I would love to believe in the essential goodness of human nature, but sometimes I really have to wonder.
Sorry Mick I gave the 'essential goodness of human nature' the elbow some time ago.

With a few very rare exceptions (You may be one ) I now believe that humans are probably the most egocentric, unbalanced, aggressive, creatures on the planet, engaging as they do in double standards, deceit, and greed at any opportunity.

I read your OP but to tell the truth I usually can't bring myself to do this as it upsets me so much.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Sorry Mick I gave the 'essential goodness of human nature' the elbow some time ago.

With a few very rare exceptions (You may be one ) I now believe that humans are probably the most egocentric, unbalanced, aggressive, creatures on the planet, engaging as they do in double standards, deceit, and greed at any opportunity.

I read your OP but to tell the truth I usually can't bring myself to do this as it upsets me so much.

Sadly there are quite a few humans just like that Losos.
We are also the predators of just about every other species, including our own kind.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-01-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by MickB;398685[B
]@Mups - Siberian Huskies (www.shwauk.org.uk)[/B]
@Julie - as you so rightly say, the issue is not actually one of poverty, but of wilful neglect. Cheap vet treatment is available for those on benefits through the RSPCA. PDSA etc and Tesco sells cheap (but acceptable) dog food for £10-11 per 17kilo which would keep one dog fed for at least two months).
The vet is passing the details of the case to the RSPCA and hopefully the individual concerned will at the very least be banned from animal ownership for the forseeable future.

Oh, just saw this website in the ads at the back of my dog magazine today MickB.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 04:25 AM

Sadly, what folk are failing to understand is that these folk who abuse or neglect their pets are NOT animals lovers, and don't even consider them to have feelings, These people are just selfish and think that their pets are just inferior to themselves and need less than they do for their happiness. THEY are the lower life-forms and until the human race accepts animals as equals, if not in some cases superior, then stories like these will continue, and it is heart-breaking.

Such people are scum, and that's all I have to say about them!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 10:56 AM

I'm not religious, but doesn't Genesis 1:26 say -
'And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.'

Humans have always regarded themselves (and with good reason) as having evolved to be superior to all other creatures. While this status gives them the responsibility to ensure the wellbeing of other living creatures, it in no way implies equality.

I have no time for people who cannot tell the difference between fellow human beings and other animals. And... if you regard all (non human) animals as equals, then anything but Veganism would more or less be canibalism....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 11:06 AM

I was a vegan for a while made myself quite ill so went back to vegetarianism where I got the vitamins etc I needed. I do think animals deserve some rights, they cannot be equal as such as that would mean we have to let them vote and much as I love my dogs I don't think I could trust them to understand that concept.

I would suggest the right to decent lives, if we farm them then will dignity and without cruelty.

If they are our pets them with love care and taking into account their individual personalities a decent kind life.

And my dogs are personally kept as part of the family, we live our lives around them and include them in most things. I wouldn't keep them if that wasn't possible.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Within the ranks of animal "rescuers" there is a constant tension between those who are genuinely concerned for animal welfare and those who profess to support "animal rights." Organisations like PETA (and, increasingly the RSPCA) which have an "animal rights" agenda are the lunatic fringe. PETA, for example, equate pet ownership with slavery and would actually prefer to euthanise unwanted dogs, cats etc rather than "subject" them to the slavery of "pet" status. They live in a bizarre world where all animals would get along fine if it wasn't for horrible humanity. Fish aren't predatory killers in PETA's world, they are cuddly "sea kittens."
I love animals and treat our own dogs as Julie describes above, but they are not humans.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top