Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Can anyone recommend a decent Printer?

My first ever printer was a Lexmark, it served me well, and had an easy to follow operating system. When I updated my computer a few years ago, I bought a new Cannon printer; it had several ink cartridges of all different colours. When one ran out, the machine would refuse to carry on printing, there were also other issues, so I binned it and bought another Lexmark. The Lexmark has only two cartridges, black and colour, if the colour expires, you can quite happily carry on using just the black cartridge. However, I found out later, that the cartridges are exclusive to PC World, from where I purchased it. I approached Lexmark direct and found it was not on their list of printers for which they supply new cartridges, and furthermore, now, you could only buy the twin pack containing both the black and colour cartridges. Because the colour expires before the black, I ended up having several new black cartridges, but no colour one. My last purchase of new cartridges has only lasted six months, and at fifty quid a throw, it's beginning to stretch my meagre pension to the limit....Lexmark and me have come to the end of the road, any ideas would be appreciated before my electricity is turned off for non-payment of bills.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Re: Can anyone recommend a decent Printer?

Old Grey Fox. I have the same problem with my Epsom printer. It doesn't recognize any other ink only Epsom so one can't buy cheap ink at all.

My sister has a Brother and she buys from Ebay those refilled inks at a fraction of the normal cost and she said it works great on her printer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=maursey;631790]Old Grey Fox. I have the same problem with my Epsom printer. It doesn't recognize any other ink only Epsom so one can't buy cheap ink at all.

My sister has a Brother and she buys from Ebay those refilled inks at a fraction of the normal cost and she said it works great on her printer.[/QUOTE

I used to do that too maursey, but you have to read carefully and make sure you get the refills that are compatible with your particular model printer.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 01:33 PM

This is what I've got. Only cost me 45£ from auctions,new..it prints something like over 2000 pages but black and white.
The toner cost 38£
Try looking at auctions of ex Curry's stock ,,you can buy either ex displays or lots some are old models ,some need work doing on them ,mine was in a lot and was still in its original package unused.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsun...-m2070w-review
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 01:53 PM

I think that these days if you don't get a colour laser printer you need your bumps felt. They cost about the same as an Inkjet but the toner works out so much cheaper per page. It might cost a bit more to buy at a time but you buy the cartridges less often. Generic cartridges are far cheaper than the branded ones and work just as well

I think my first colour laser (a Brother) cost me $98(£49) I only changed it to get one that printed on both sides of the paper, this one cost me $210(£105)

Fuji Xerox Docuprint CM305 d

The DF version has a scanner/feeder so you can use it as a scanner or photo copier but i prefer a separate scanner.

They were both network printers so anybody using your home network can use them or they have USB ports too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Epson XP-950 an excellent A3 printer the same size as an A4. There compatable ink cart for it.
I also have anDEpson PX710w printer

in a box also an Epson XP750 printer
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
Old Grey Fox. I have the same problem with my Epsom printer. It doesn't recognize any other ink only Epsom
I'm surprised at that, I am now on my second Epson, which is a few years old, and both this one, and the previous one both took compatible cartridges. £7.50 for the four from the local computer shop.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 07:35 PM

of course it depends on what you want to print as well. Just A4 sheets of print any printer will do the job. For photographic work a maybe a photographic printer is the answer.

Here I have to add about photo paper. there is rubbish stuff out there where the ink never seems to dry on it and good paper that instantly dries.

Cost wise for good paper Ii can quote having just purchased

100 sheets of 7x5 inch Ilford professional ink jet range called Prestige smooth silk

Cost £27.94 including p/p

You would be hard pressed to find anything better
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 08:02 PM

I loved my old Lexmark, would print on anything! Of course it wasn't compatible when I changed to a laptop, I've tried every make and none seem to be as good. I have hp at the mo, it won't let you resize pictures unless you do it on the laptop. Laser printers are much more expensive, well more than I can afford Bruce, but are much better if you can get one.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice and recommendations, I will checkout some of the printers mentioned.
I know what you mean Twizzard, I also have been very happy with my Lexmark and have had some great results, but I must be the only one buying cartridges from PC World for the discontinued Lexmark, and they must have been on the shelf for quite a while, hence their short life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top