Join for free
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 09:17 AM

Midwinter of the Spirit

Anybody been watching this? I love the Phil Rickman "Merrily Watkins" novels, which seek to combine Anglican spirituality with Prehistoric shamanism and old fashioned crime thriller. I've watched two episodes so far and it is very well made and doesn't veer too far away from the novel (except in a couple of ways). Extremely well acted and not a little scary.
The only thing I would take issue with is that the producers seem to have bent over backwards to be "inclusive" so that we not only have a young, handsome black bishop (who seems to have the hots for Merrily), a black social worker and even Frannie Bliss, the scouse copper, is mixed race. The social worker is also problematic in that in the book, Lol Robinson was a musician (friend and contemporary of Nick Drake and John Martyn) who, in later novels, became Merrily's lover. He was not a social worker, but a vulnerable man recovering from a mental breakdown.

Still apart from such niggles (which will only worry you if you are familiar with the novels) it is great entertainment for a Sunday night snuggled on the couch.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 12:42 PM

Re: Midwinter of the Spirit

I have not seen this as I have been away, but thought it looked interesting, will have to look at down loading it to watch. Thanks for the recommendation MickB.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top