Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 09:22 AM

The forgotten bass player

Following on from Fender's drummer thread. I've been playing guitar for 55 years, but have only recently been trying to teach myself bass. Now I find myself focussing on bass lines when I listen to music. Bass and drums are the backbone of rock music. Here are a couple of my favourite bass players.

Firstly a completely self-taught player who emerged from Punk, played in John Lydon's Public Image Ltd and eventually formed Invaders of the Heart - Jah Wobble

Next one of the greatest ever rock/jazz bass players - Jack Bruce

..and something completely different - Robbie Shakespeare bass king of reggae

fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 05:17 PM

Re: The forgotten bass player

Wasn't there an old saying that a bass guitarist was a frustrated lead guitarist?

I must admit, I've always listened to the bass lines in tracks. Can make or break a song.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 05:30 PM

As a devoted Free follower I would have to mention Andy Fraser
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 08:56 PM

And Mark King.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 10:38 AM

You cannot have a bass player thread without a mention of the late, great (but bloody annoying to watch) Chris Squire...

MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
You cannot have a bass player thread without a mention of the late, great (but bloody annoying to watch) Chris Squire...

As Fender said above, "Wasn't there an old saying that a bass guitarist was a frustrated lead guitarist?"
Chris Squire would definitely fall into that category.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2017, 06:57 PM

What guitar are you playing these days Mick?
MickB
London UK

04-04-2017, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
What guitar are you playing these days Mick?
I've built up quite a collection - mostly bargains picked up at car boot sales. I've got a lovely Yamaha classical acoustic, a Wesley acoustic, an Ovation roundback acoustic/electric, a beautiful Ibanez 12 string acoustic which my wife bought me for a 60th birthday present 9 years ago, a Tanglewood acoustic and a Jon Eastmond acoustic resonator guitar handbuilt by a friend. In addition I have a Gibson SE copy electric and an Encore Coaster Bass. My latest acquisition is a Squier Stratocaster (Fender copy) which I picked up in a charity shop for £5. It wasn't working, but I ordered a complete pickguard complete with pickups from Amazon for the princely sum of £11.75, put on some new strings and now I have a very playable strat for under £25.

longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2017, 08:51 AM

I would have to say that Darryl Jones is the first name that springs to my mind when I think of bass players.
Being a Stones fanatic you can understand why.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2017, 09:02 AM

Jaco Pastorius, Weather Report.#

Jannick Top, Magma,

Holgar Czucky, Can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top