Join for free
Page 32 of 33 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 08:29 PM

Re: What is it - Mystery Object challenge.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No and yes. The thing inside is something to do with lighting the candle, in a roundabout way!
Is the thing in the tin some sort of tinder box? You produce sparks with the handle shaped thing to light some straw or other combustible material that you then use to light the candle.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Is the thing in the tin some sort of tinder box? You produce sparks with the handle shaped thing to light some straw or other combustible material that you then use to light the candle.
That's it!
It's a tinder box.

Inside the box is a steel and flint and, the note says, a piece of rag serving as tinder.
Once the tinder is aflame, the candle is lit and then the lid placed on the container to douse the tinder and the candle placed in the holder on the lid.

It's in a museum called Bolling Hall in Bradford.

Next please.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 09:00 PM

That's it!
It's a tinder box.

Inside the box is a steel and flint and, the note says, a piece of rag serving as tinder.
Once the tinder is aflame, the candle is lit and then the lid placed on the container to douse the tinder and the candle placed in the holder on the lid.

It's in a museum called Bolling Hall in Bradford.

Next please.
At first I thought there might be a liquid fuel such as paraffin, or a solid fuel that needed a catalyst, but I got the idea from your comment that it the thing inside was something to do with lighting the candle.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

21-07-2020, 09:01 PM

Here's another one from me.

What are these used for?

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 09:10 PM

Here's another one from me.

What are these used for?

I'd say they look a bit like drill chucks but for the things sticking out at 90 degrees!

Can you give us a clue?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

21-07-2020, 09:23 PM

I'd say they look a bit like drill chucks but for the things sticking out at 90 degrees!

Can you give us a clue?
Well normally I would wheely like to give you a clue, but I'm a bit tyred at the moment. Dunlop you just hate that? (Other companies are avail-abail).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-07-2020, 09:26 PM

Well normally I would wheely like to give you a clue, but I'm a bit tyred at the moment. Dunlop you just hate that? (Other companies are avail-abail).
I can't imagine what you're talking about!

Could they be something to do with removing or adjusting tyre valves?
(I don't know what made me think of that.)

I'm sure Mags or Tessa will know.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

21-07-2020, 09:43 PM

I can't imagine what you're talking about!

Could they be something to do with removing or adjusting tyre valves?
(I don't know what made me think of that.)

I'm sure Mags or Tessa will know.
Yes and no.

Removing tyre valves? Partially yes, but only a specific part of the valve; no to removing the whole valve assembly.
The whole valve assembly is removed with a much larger and robust tool, and needs a lot of force and leverage.

Adjusting tyre valves, sort of, but adjusting in what way? Three parts of the tools are used for "adjustment" of different parts of a tyre valve, one is used for extraction or refitting of another part of the valve.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-07-2020, 09:56 PM

Yes and no.

Removing tyre valves? Partially yes, but only a specific part of the valve; no to removing the whole valve assembly.
The whole valve assembly is removed with a much larger and robust tool, and needs a lot of force and leverage.

Adjusting tyre valves, sort of, but adjusting in what way? Three parts of the tools are used for "adjustment" of different parts of a tyre valve, one is used for extraction or refitting of another part of the valve.
Thanks. I get the picture, but I'm afraid I don't know the technical terms, but I suspect it is possible to remove the inside parts of the valves: the things that you can push to release air.

They are probably a lot more complicated than I was aware of.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

21-07-2020, 10:24 PM

From the picture, the top part of the tool on the left, and the bottom part of the tool on the right are for unscrewing and refitting the valve insert that allow air in to a tyre/inner tube or can be pressed to let air out.

But what are the other three parts of the tool used for?

Think back to the thread file.

Page 32 of 33 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top