Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Re: Should we have an age limit on the Elderly buying Puppies.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My house move is weeks away, subject to the usual.

My new house has been bought with a dog in mind.

The littlies will grow up, I realise that, however my lodgers will be there when I go away.

They are very dog friendly.

I plan for things.

Have you bought somewhere now then, Swim?
What area did you decide in the end?

May I ask why you are looking at rescue dogs when you said you had already agreed to your neighbours French Bulldog?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Have you bought somewhere now then, Swim?
What area did you decide in the end?

May I ask why you are looking at rescue dogs when you said you had already agreed to your neighbours French Bulldog?
Hi

All being well I am moving to Whitchurch.

Solicitors and everything involved now, but everything Subject to Contract.

I was only commenting generally about dogs Mups.

I have been looking round the local Rescue Centres for some time now.

I love dogs, have had them for decades and I miss having one.

It was not an option when I was still working and living on my own, to my mind that would have been unfair on the dog.

My health is turning around, getting better, I am no longer working, so ready for a dog now.

I just think that it is unfair for the elderly to buy a puppy which may well outlive them and which they cannot really look after.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My house move is weeks away, subject to the usual.

My new house has been bought with a dog in mind.

The littlies will grow up, I realise that, however my lodgers will be there when I go away.

They are very dog friendly.

I plan for things.
What will happen if your lodgers move out Swimfeeders? Things do change and IMO whoever gets the dog/puppy has full responsibility for it for the whole of it's life. Who will train your dog - it should be you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
What will happen if your lodgers move out Swimfeeders? Things do change and IMO whoever gets the dog/puppy has full responsibility for it for the whole of it's life. Who will train your dog - it should be you.

Good point Aerolor. Also, do your lodgers go out to work Swim?

You know I don't agree with anyone taking a dog in, while planning to go away for 6 months. In fact, I'd be surprised if a rescue even let you have one if they knew that.

Dogs need consistency, same as kids. Not different people telling it different things and setting different boundaries.

Are you not having the French Bulldog after all now?
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 09:27 PM

We 'oldies ' could always adopt an older animal, my friend got her rescue cat when she she was in her'70's, he was about 2/3 yrs. old then & still mopping up her love & attention now
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:02 PM

As long as we have made provision in a "just in case" scenario I can't see a problem
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 11:27 PM

My last dog had to be put to sleep 2 years ago now and I really couldn't do with the heartbreak again so got a rescue cat

Arthur is the most stuck up independent at you could ever meet

Anyways he around 3 now, don't know for sure as he had been found dumped at the side of a road

We were talking recently that perhaps we could get another dog, we both only work part time, mum is still mobile and has most her marbles, but then I did the math

Arthur could live 20 years, that would take us to our mid 70's by then so we wouldn't be taking on a pup. Im not ruling out taking on an older dog though

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top